The effective 'life' of starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedsterr

Reaction score
Finally managed to get my grubby little hands on some starsan, did the cloudy glass test to see if my water would work with the solution and the water stayed nice and clear no problems so as I would be using this alot I made a five gallon batch up and but it in a spare plastic bucket.

Now I had a great time sanitising my things and not rinsing them afterward! I didn't even worry about the dreaded foam! But that was last week and this week when I go back to use the solution again it's gone cloudy!

So does star San have an effective life limit out of the bottle? (I cant see it going off as it just makes the solution acidic) or have u somehow stupidly ruined the solution? Or am I just being over cautious and the clouding is just air caught in solution?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this

Hi! Also just got a bottle of this but am yet to do the water test on it. Did you leave the bucket open too the air? I've heard that adding a bit of lemon juice will greatly increase the lifespan.

Keep the bucket covered (good seal on it) and it will last for a good amount of time. I usually mix up a batch and keep it around for either a few weeks, month, or until I feel it should be changed. Where I've been brewing (a buddies place), we just mix it up that day. I did leave my StarSan bucket there last time. I'll probably pick up a second one to have at my place (less items to need to transfer over on brew/bottle day).

I've found the cloudy test is not always so reliable. Better to get some PH test strips and use those if you're concerned about it's effectiveness.

Back