StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon bucket of mixed up StarSan that has been sitting about a week. It is bottling day for both my Seltzer and my brothers beer. I am thinking I can just dunk the filler hose and wand in the solution and it will be fine. I have read the solution stays ok in jugs for at least a few weeks, and this has only been a week, but I look to the experts to help me out. Any input is most appreciated.

So...I keep mine for a long time and it seems to work fine. I have read that as long as the pH is low enough (I don't remember the number) it is fine. However 5 Star, the manufacturer says this:

Star San is an EPAs registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour.

I suspect their legal team put that on their website.

Agree. I use a covered 5-gallon bucket and use it for 3-4 weeks, depending on overall use and what it looks like. I don't check pH although Ive heard the pH is the way to check it. It does get a bit cloudy as time goes on, and I tend to use that visual cue as a marker of when to pour it out. I also throw it out after using on any of my mixed/brett fermentation stuff in order to decrease cross-contamination risk. Ive done this for the last two years without any infections using this technique.

You'll be golden after just a week. Good luck bottling!

It uses demineralized (distilled) water to dilute Starsana and can last a very long time.

Here's a podcast of Charlie Talley, the inventor, discussing Star San and other chemicals.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1827/
Back then, Mr. Talley was on several podcasts and talked about what it can really do, as opposed to what the EPA regulations call for. He was the company president - I think he's retired now. The old podcasts have a wealth of real world, practical information. He also talked about contact time - 30 seconds is sufficient for brewing. Of course, commercial breweries must follow the EPA regulations, but home brewers don't have to.

Back then, Mr. Talley was on several podcasts and talked about what it can really do, as opposed to what the EPA regulations call for. He was the company president - I think he's retired now. The old podcasts have a wealth of real world, practical information. He also talked about contact time - 30 seconds is sufficient for brewing. Of course, commercial breweries must follow the EPA regulations, but home brewers don't have to.
You're right, I think we got the real info in those episodes. I wonder if it's changed much in the past 15 years though....

Latest posts

Back