The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked this up today, chillin' it lightly overnight, will indulge tomorrow.

Genuinely excited about this...

Cheers!

spencer_trappist_ale_sm.jpg

It's interesting with a meal. Its good. Have you tried Benno yet? The Austrian Trappist. Hit up the cbc packy in Westford since youre so close. They just recently opened. They had a trappist tasting last weekend. Including Westy.

2014-01-21 18.46.02.jpg

We're fortunate that the one package store in Stow carries a full line-up of Trappist brews - best as I can tell, everything that is available via export. I actually spent like 15 minutes going through their Trappist aisle (so many bottles!) looking for the Spencer offering, finally realized it wasn't there, decided maybe they had them stashed and went up to the checkout counter to ask - and right there at the registers they had their Spencer display. Doh!

Can't wait. The few reviews I've seen have all been highly complimentary. And it just seems totally cool that the only Trappist brewery in the country is 20 minutes from my house! :)

Cheers! :mug:

I just started a new contract down the road from Julio's. I battled the horde of EACs on the release day. I then went down to Wegmans and there was a huge stack of it there with no one taking notice.

Here's my issue. (Couldn't hold it)...

From what I understand, and maybe I have been given bad info but... I don't think any of the monks actually had any brewing experience. They dropped millions of dollars on a state-of-the-art, top of the line brew house and then had some very well respected brewers from the area (I am pretty sure Dann from Pretty Things was instrumental) show them how to use the equip and even come up with the recipe... and now they're simply pushing buttons.

Trappist breweries have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years. These guys have been around for hundreds and hundreds of hours and you would have thought Ninkasi descended from the Heavens herself and started passing out beer.

The craft beer industry on the East Coast flames the &$@< out of certain breweries because they are contract brewers.... but no one apparently has any issue with these guys?

If some random guy showed up in Mass, plopped down $5mm on a brewery, paid brewers to show him how to use it and even come up with their one recipe, people would run him out of town with flaming torches... But since they simply have frocks on... Everyone is all aflutter?

That's crap.

Go ahead now with the stupid "oooo Cape's jealous". It's zero jealousy, I just dont understand how everyone is al holier than though about certain breweries but then all of a sudden this scenario is hunky dory because these guys happen to have a certain religeous affiliation

Cape, can't you become a minister and spin the Bog beer as a 'religious experience'? There you go... Holier than thou good beer... Right in Norton. Go Bog!

Cape, can't you become a minister and spin the Bog beer as a 'religious experience'? There you go... Holier than thou good beer... Right in Norton. Go Bog!

Nah... It honestly has nothing at all to do with the Bog... I just get aggravated by what looks like a ridiculous double standard. Don't get me wrong... Contrary to how my rant might have sounded... I wish the monks all the success in the world. I, personally, have no issue with them. I beef is with the huge amount of fawning going on (not in this thread but in general) over a situation most of these same critics/bloggers would flame in a second if these guys didn't have the frocks on.

The only solution is to grow your hair long, put on a pair of sandals and head down to Julio's to turn over the tables of the money changers. Cape, that boil on the back of your neck is getting out of control.

Nah. Just a nutjob :fro:

There's absolutely no reference to Cape in that quote

Good rant tho. You do read the other forums and your head explodes. I enjoy it and in a way fed the hype by buying it early. You would have wanted to punch a couple of the people in the throat at Julio's. It was worse than when they had Westy.

It's sad in a way to see the Trappist label being expanded but if it's a necessity and they make quality stuff I'd buy it. I guess everyone had to start from somewhere. Leave the snobs to themselves.

They are a secretive bunch. Articles report Chimay helped them out too. They say someone backed them but not who. All a part to add to the hype. I'll enjoy it for a simple beer. Heck, it goes well with pizza too.

The Trappists are a cloistered community best known for their silence. They aren't secretive, they just don't do noisy PR. They make beer and other products to pay their bills. They learned how to make a good Belgian pale ale (with a lot of help, from Pretty Things, their brothers in Belgium, Harpoon, etc..), and that's all they likely will be doing for a while. The recipe for this ale and the knowledge to make it did not suddenly appear on their altar in a beam of sunlight from the firmament.

Unless Cape starts wearing robes and brewing Belgians I don't see how this should be seen as competition, or even somthing to get pissed about. If anything, maybe it draws out some more people looking for a local craft beer experience, which might be something on which the Bog could capitalize.

The Trappists are a cloistered community best known for their silence. They aren't secretive, they just don't do noisy PR. They make beer and other products to pay their bills. They learned how to make a good Belgian pale ale (with a lot of help, from Pretty Things, their brothers in Belgium, Harpoon, etc..), and that's all they likely will be doing for a while. The recipe for this ale and the knowledge to make it did not suddenly appear on their altar in a beam of sunlight from the firmament.

Unless Cape starts wearing robes and brewing Belgians I don't see how this should be seen as competition, or even somthing to get pissed about. If anything, maybe it draws out some more people looking for a local craft beer experience, which might be something on which the Bog could capitalize.

It's not seen as competition in any way. It's like people don't even read. (Sigh)

No Cape, I did read and get that part. All I'm saying is, what is the harm of people fawning over a particular beer? Wouldn't you love it if people were fawning over your beers in the same way (as many have)? I'm just not sure you're seeing the silver lining here.

Here's my issue. (Couldn't hold it)...

From what I understand, and maybe I have been given bad info but... I don't think any of the monks actually had any brewing experience. They dropped millions of dollars on a state-of-the-art, top of the line brew house and then had some very well respected brewers from the area (I am pretty sure Dann from Pretty Things was instrumental) show them how to use the equip and even come up with the recipe... and now they're simply pushing buttons.

Trappist breweries have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years. These guys have been around for hundreds and hundreds of hours and you would have thought Ninkasi descended from the Heavens herself and started passing out beer.

The craft beer industry on the East Coast flames the &$@< out of certain breweries because they are contract brewers.... but no one apparently has any issue with these guys?

Most people are trendy and borderline retarded. Everyone knows that.

If some random guy showed up in Mass, plopped down $5mm on a brewery, paid brewers to show him how to use it and even come up with their one recipe, people would run him out of town with flaming torches... But since they simply have frocks on... Everyone is all aflutter?

That's crap.

You already have a monk hair cut. Wear a frock bro! Bog Iron Le Trapist! Your BA scores will go through the roof!

Most people are just retarded... Well, you can't call them that anymore - it's intellectually challenged.

**** that. That PC crap makes me sick. It makes me worry about my daughters generation. Luckily she is with me most of the time, so she is awesome:rockin:
Losers don't get trophies, and fat people are fat! No offense PTN :D.......Yeah I have a decent buzz at 3pm:tank:

080.jpg

Because everyone knows that an aging bunch of monks trying to save their order from oblivion by establishing only the eighth operating Trappist brewery in the known universe - and with the unselfish help of a number of well regarded players in the brewing industry - shouldn't get any more attention than the 15001st for-profit brewery in the world.

Way to miss the reasons why folks are interested in this compelling story.
I wonder how well that rant would play out in a more public setting?

(Yeah, I know, "GFY" and all that...)

Cheers!

(ps: The Spousal Unit and I really enjoyed the first of the four pack. Delicious!)

Come on now.... Cape will rant anywhere, anytime.

Latest posts

Back