The Beast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I posted this in a Fast Ferment Conical thread but in the interest of DIY, thought I would re-post here as I'm sure you guys can appreciate what goes into designing and building something from scratch...

Have you ever had an itch you just had to scratch? Practical or not?? This project can certainly go in that category.

Handling a FastFerment (FF) conical when it's full can be a bit of a challenge. It's awkward at best. I ferment in a chamber (DIY) so when fermentation is finished, I need to pull the FF stand (DIY) near the door of the chamber, then I can pick it up by the top ring on the stand and set it outside the chamber on the floor.

So here is the FF sitting in it's stand on the floor outside the chamber. It has 7 gallons of water in it for demo purposes.

1.jpg

Once I get it outside the chamber, I still need to elevate it so I can rack into a keg or bottling bucket. So I started thinking what I could do to make moving and lifting the FF easier.

Several FF owners built stands using 2x4s. Their designs got me thinking so I built one too using the factory wall mount support brackets provided.

2.jpg

The difference; The stand I built has casters, it's a little taller and happens to have a trailer winch mounted on it.

3.jpg

Now I'm able to pick it up, move it to where I need it and elevate so I can either rack into a keg or bottling bucket. :rockin:

4.jpg

Was this project necessary? No.
Can you move the FF without one? Yes.
Will it be more convenient to move the FF around and lift it with the Beast? Yes it will.

But honestly, I'm wondering if the convenience of using The Beast will out weigh the inconvenience of storing it, working around it and the floor space it takes up. I didn't name it The Beast for nothing... ;)

BUT. It's an idea I had bouncing around in my head and I just had to get it out...

NEXT!!

:mug:

Storage is my only thought, That thing is huge.

If my fermenters get too big to haul, I think I will just raise the chamber to the proper height off the floor and pump the cooled wort into the pre-positioned fermenter.

Nice job though. I bet i could have a few beers while admiring the work.

I love the use of old brake rotors as ballast. Brilliant and a great way to recycle.

Thanks! They really help when moving it around while it is empty.

Here it is in action to fill my very first keg...

filling keg.jpg

So far, it has been way more useful that it has been in the way. Hopefully that will continue to be the case.

This is great. My FastFerment just arrived and I have been pondering where/how to mount it. This gives me ideas of a fold-able/pin-able version to fold flat when not in use!

AHK

Here are the basic plans for @lcat45 and any others interested.

FF Lift-v2.jpg

Back