The Beard Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardlyBrew

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here, at least newly registered. I've been lurking the forums for a little while now. I'm should say that I'm fairly new to homebrewing at any level above Mr. Beer, but I am eager to learn. Mr Beer was my homebrew of choice for a number of years though, and I've made more than 60 batches to date. The kits are expensive for what you get though, and just not as satisfying. I want to move on to partial- and all-grain.

Right now, I have my second 23 litre batch of hard cider in my secondary, and a kit Oatmeal Stout (BrewHouse) in my primary. Once it gets to the secondary, I'm going to add a dose of cold press coffee extract.

I'm likely to only be an occasional poster though, mainly because most of the questions I have are answered with a quick search through the forums here. Some recent examples: (The questions were mine, the answers paraphrased from the forum here)

I have three Mr Beer kegs sitting idle. Can I use them for all-grain, cider, or small batches of mead?
- Yes for all-grain, yes for cider, and no for mead. (I have since used them for three small batches of cider with different additions to it.)

The kit I have says to transfer to secondary after 3-4 days, but I won't have a secondary free for a week. Will this hurt the beer?
- No, the beer will be fine. Patience is your friend. A few extra days, even an extra week at any point will only help the beer.

Oh no! Help! There's foam coming out the top of the airlock!
- Relax, this can happen with certain beers and yeasts. Pull the airlock out, clean it, sanitize it, and install a blowoff tube if you can. The beer will be fine.

Like I said... most any question I have, there's a thread for it. (Or several.)
Great, great forum here, glad to be a part of it. Hope to be able to contribute soon.

Welcome! Many brewers, myself included, started with MrB and moved on. Actually I need to bottle a wheat that's in an LBK right now. You can use them as fermenters for small batches, split batches, bottling buckets. I really like brewing AG, even extract with steeping grains. I agree that MrBeer hopped extracts are expensive. I think I make better beer with grain. But let's all have fun and beer!

Back