The All-in-One Carboy Cover (carboy.net)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JINKS

Fermentator Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Has anybody tried one of these? I just bought 3 and am asking for feedback after my purchase. (normal for me)

Not too sure from a picture but on first appearance I would not trust those handles with anything but an EMPTY carboy. If I were to build one like that the webbing would go all the way around AND under the bottom. I have seen similar looking devices where the handles tore out of the fabric.

They have a video showing it being moved around full while cleaning. Using handles to help dump out the oxi-clean mixture.

P.S. For all the fear-mongers I have been using glass for 20 years never broke a carboy yet. Just need to not be careless.

Probably a good tool. I have something similar but made of nylon straps instead of the solid nylon fabric. It's tough as nails and have been using it for a couple years. I think the one you have would actually be superior to the one I have.

Cheers!

I got this not just for hauling the carboy around but it keeps out light too so I can go t-shirt free. That is my main purpose although the convenient carry handles are a plus. I too have been using the neck handles.

This is the video that sold me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use the old fashioned handle around the neck. Simple and effective. I'm not taking the damn thing mountain climbing!!!

Gotta be careful with those handles around the neck jobs. I haven't broken one myself but they put a lot of stress on the neck of the carboy. Seems to me that when I read the instructions they come wrapped in (yeah, I know, who does that?) they were pretty specific about telling us not to use them to move a full carboy without additional support under the vessel.

After a really stupid lifting activity of full carboy, just above shoulder height, I carry carboys as little as possible now. When I need to move a full carboy in the brew room I set it on a rolling mechanics stool. This is also my bottling seat.
I have the carboy handles, but only use the handle to move empty carboys or as a handhold during jet rinsing.
Surgery in about a month and a half to repair my shoulder.

Gotta be careful with those handles around the neck jobs. I haven't broken one myself but they put a lot of stress on the neck of the carboy. Seems to me that when I read the instructions they come wrapped in (yeah, I know, who does that?) they were pretty specific about telling us not to use them to move a full carboy without additional support under the vessel.

The most important thing is to never "hug" a full carboy to pick it up. The chance of it breaking goes up exponentially. Best way to lift above the waist is with one hand on the handle, and one underneath. The rest of the time, just use the handle, and only lift it a few inches off the ground.

(I'm sure you already know that, but maybe someone else will learn and not die)

I've been using the neck handles for many years, until I joined this site. Saw the carboy injury thread and went and got a Walmart feed bucket looking thing for around 5 bucks. Been using that but it lacks the ability to carry a full carboy one handed for the few steps I need it to. Saw this product and figured hey can carry carboy and it blocks out light. Hopefully it works as good as advertised.

They just came in. Got a oatmeal stout to start this weekend so I will see how it is for hauling full carboys downstairs into the garage to put in the fermentation chamber. They seem fairly stout and I do like the fact that it covers the whole thing to block out light. Goodby t-shirt.

For moving full glass carboys I either use a BrewHauler or a plastic milk crate (the real ones, not the cheap imitations sold in the storage goods aisles).

The one the OP ordered looks cool, but I would be worried about the handles tearing out at the stitching. The stitching itself may be robust, but the fabric the handles attach to may not endure that much tension over such a small area. Would have been better if they designed it with webbing passing under the bottom to distribute the load.

I can't speak for longevity but it was amazingly simple to carry my glass carboy from the back to the garage to put in the fermentation chamber. Used to carry by the neck.
Lifting into the freezer seemed much easier as I could use two hands at equal height instead of one on the neck and one on the bottom and had handles even.
Stitching goes through the nylon to a thick inner patch.
I do think it could be stronger if they somehow stitched a brew-hauler into the cover. Would be the best of both worlds strength and UV blocking.

I have several of these carboy covers and I love them! They make it so easy to move a full carboy and they seem like they are made from durable materials. Time will tell.

@kh54s10 You can trust the handles, here is a picture of a carboy cover holding a 6 gallon carboy with 105 pounds of sand and water in it being supported by 1 handle and left hanging for over an hour. I would have put more weight in it but that is as much as the carboy would hold. A 5 gallon batch would be about 42 pounds so this is 2.5 times what you would normally have in one.

@MaxStout no need to add webbing to it when the entire thing is made out of the same stuff the webbing is made out of. Think of it as a 36" wide nylon strap made into a cover.

These things are made in a luggage factory and are put together with double stitching and anchor points, you aren't going to hurt them! They are made to be used and abused.

Just wait till you see the light test video we are working on, you might think twice about using a fleece cover or t-shirt once you see it. These covers have a UV coating that blocks 100%. Not to mention a pouring handle and a pocket for your notes. Oh, and we are currently working on covers to fit 5 and 6.5 glass and plastic big mouth bubblers.

We love to give them away if anybody wants to do a review on one? Any naysayers want to try one out and tell the world what you think of them? Anybody with a youtube channel?

We love to give them away if anybody wants to do a review on one?

I'd love to review one for you. I have 2 glass carboys, and they are my favorite out of the 8 carboys that I have currently, but I'm getting a little leery of using them everyday with all of the "I broke my glass carboy and cut my hand off" threads that are popping up. Would love to have something like this to put a little faith back in my glass carboy.

Sign me up!
I use glass carboys only. Seems like everything taste better in glass. I remember as a kid in the sixties drinking milk from glass bottles tasted so much better then the cardboard containers... ( anyone remember those?). To me it's the same with beer.
I use milk crates for my carboys. I'd like to compare the two.

I'd love to give them a try but to be honest it will be a couple of months before I can do much brewing as it is busy season on the farm.

If you drop it, you might have ready made brown bandages.

This. It's pretty awesome that it keeps so much light out, and I might have to consider purchasing for that alone, but I think I'd still want to use a milk crate for transport, just in case.

I have a glass carboy I'd be willing to sacrifice if you want to test.

I bought for the light blocking but the handles have turned out to be a plus. Easy to hang on to and move. As to how it helps with cleaning I will see this Sunday as I am racking my barlywine into a 3 gallon glass carboy from a 5 gal carboy (still had blow off in a 3 gal batch).

@beavers @oakbarn You wont make bandages out of the cover if you break a carboy in it. Here is a 15 foot drop test with a glass carboy:

We are working on getting access to do a 50+ foot drop test video.
You cant hurt these things. I promise you that once you brew with one of these covers you wont want to mess with a naked carboy ever again. And they aren't just for glass carboys, they also fit plastic carboys too!

Last edited by a moderator:
@beavers @oakbarn You wont make bandages out of the cover if you break a carboy in it. Here is a 15 foot drop test with a glass carboy:

You cant hurt these things. I promise you that once you brew with one of these covers you wont want to mess with a naked carboy ever again. And they aren't just for glass carboys, they also fit plastic carboys too!

Climb up to the peak of the house where this video was taken and hold carboy above you head to drop. Thats got to put you around 30 feet or so.

I bought for the light blocking but the handles have turned out to be a plus. Easy to hang on to and move. As to how it helps with cleaning I will see this Sunday as I am racking my barlywine into a 3 gallon glass carboy from a 5 gal carboy (still had blow off in a 3 gal batch).

I can defiantly see these aiding in the cleaning of a carboy. Ive had countless 'close calls' while trying to shake oxiclean in the carboy when my hands are slippery.

looks like a quality product.The only thing I wonder is when you put it in a fermentation chamber does it "insulate" at all? Fermentation generates heat and affects the temp of the interior. I suppose you could carry it to the chamber then zip it down an around the base until its ready to be pulled then simply zip it back up and remove..

I'm thinking about buying a couple. Would definitely review them if you want to send one my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

looks like a quality product.The only thing I wonder is when you put it in a fermentation chamber does it "insulate" at all? Fermentation generates heat and affects the temp of the interior. I suppose you could carry it to the chamber then zip it down an around the base until its ready to be pulled then simply zip it back up and remove..

I have it in my ferment chamber and between the freezer cold and the electric warmer I don't see more than a 1 degree change. So insulating or not, it does not appear to create a problem.

I'd be interested in reviewing one if you'd like. Product looks pretty cool.

Getting a water/oxyclean durability test today. Left the carboy in the hauler, added oxyclean and water. Had the cover unzipped so I could see the level of the water which allowed the foam to get into it. Going to let it sit for a few hours for the cover to dry and the oxy to clean the carboy.

I could definitely see how this would be a great addition to anyone that uses glass carboys.
How much do these cost and where can I get them?
I have a few 5 gallon glass carboys that would be much easier and safer to move around.
I would be extremely happy to test/review one these!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well I dumped out the oxy. This makes it a breeze both for carrying and for shaking. Definately happy with my purchase. I don't feel like the thing is going to slip out of my hand at any moment and it doesn't feel like its over stressing any particular part of the carboy like a neck handle does.

I just wish I knew that they were giving them away for a review would have been nice to save a few bucks on the 4 I bought.

What's the actual name/brand of these?
I want to see where to get them from.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok I looked them up, very reasonable price and the reviews seem promising.
Only question I have is, I would assume you would remove the cover before placing in a swamp cooler?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qqCcD0e9U

Good clean fun. :D

Just playing devil's advocate here -- I'm still curious about, let's say, 3 feet, and full of liquid. I'd be less concerned with the tiny shards that a 15 (or 50) foot drop would produce, than the giant shards from a short drop, along with 5 gallons of liquid suddenly and forcefully pushing those shards outwards. Might make for a less spectacular video, but it's the kind of catastrophe the covers are more likely to encounter.

If you need more testers... my wife says I test her all the time. She could use a break. I'd love to test one.
Tom the tester, of patience in SWMBO

Latest posts

Back