The 25 Best American Breweries of the Past Decade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually a pretty good list. You could argue all day about the order, but I think they got a pretty complete list.

Yeah, I'm not sure if they are actually ranked in order or anything, but either way, I was glad to see Founders made the list out of Grand Rapids. They have been a hidden gem around here. Their Wee Heavy is one of the best beers I've ever had.

That list is kind of silly and it misses a lot of points, as well as some great breweries. I don't know, it seems like a list of what people already know as the best breweries in the states as well as a "favorites" list that just looks towards special releases and rarities.

I'm assuming the readership of paper magazine isn't really looking for an in-depth profile on anything like that, but it kind of irks me to see a list so thrown together like that.

Good list, I would switch it around quite a bit but I think that I could agree that those at 25 of the top breweries. I gotta say my top 5 is Founders, Victory, Deschutes, Jolly Pumpkin and New Glarus.

I like it.

I was going to get really irritated if Sam Adams wasn't on their (I feel they get slapped around by the elitists because they sell lots of beer), but they are.

Honestly (and don't get pissed at me for saying), I'm a bit tired of hearing about Sam & Dogfish Head for now. 2 books, a serious storyline in Beer Wars, radio interviews, a pretty aggressive underground marketing ploy, and now this (!) are starting to make Sam's stuff a bit less enjoyable to me. It seems like everywhere I go, even for a so-Cal resident 3,000 miles away from their headquarters, I see or hear something about Dogfish Head.

Don't get me wrong, I support the fact that he's independent and believes in the independent brewership he runs, but there's a fine line he's walking between selling good beer and complete whoring of your wares.

Honestly (and don't get pissed at me for saying), I'm a bit tired of hearing about Sam & Dogfish Head for now. 2 books, a serious storyline in Beer Wars, radio interviews, a pretty aggressive underground marketing ploy, and now this (!) are starting to make Sam's stuff a bit less enjoyable to me. It seems like everywhere I go, even for a so-Cal resident 3,000 miles away from their headquarters, I see or hear something about Dogfish Head.

Don't get me wrong, I support the fact that he's independent and believes in the independent brewership he runs, but there's a fine line he's walking between selling good beer and complete whoring of your wares.

The answer to every question is "money". There is always going to be a leader that has the most, and that leader is always going to be criticized. Microsoft, the Yankees, etc. etc. If it weren't Sam Adam's or DFH, it would be someone else, and everyone would hate them instead.

But let's not let this turn into a debate over big Microbrews, let's keep the focus on all the exceptional breweries that made the list.

I haven't had half the labels on the list, but the ones I have had, I'd concur with their inclusion on this list. Everyone's going to want to discuss the rank order, but "-there ain't no 'countin for taste."

The answer to every question is "money". There is always going to be a leader that has the most, and that leader is always going to be criticized. Microsoft, the Yankees, etc. etc. If it weren't Sam Adam's or DFH, it would be someone else, and everyone would hate them instead.

But let's not let this turn into a debate over big Microbrews, let's keep the focus on all the exceptional breweries that made the list.

Right.

I don't see how their profit sheet and stock price has anything to do with the fact that they make quality beer. And I don't know why people let these things affect their taste.

Right.

I don't see how their profit sheet and stock price has anything to do with the fact that they make quality beer. And I don't know why people let these things affect their taste.

+1

It makes no sense to dislike a product because of hype or popularity. It is like the cool indie rock kids totally ignoring good records because they're too cool for the rest of music. Yes, Sam's face has been plastered everywhere and DFH has an insane following. But hype like that is good for craft beer, no matter what.

Craft beer drinkers tend to like the fact that they drink something good, that only THEY know about. It makes them feel special to introduce someone to the brewery, as opposed to saying "Have you ever heard of Sam Adams?"

This feeling of it being "my" brewery gets lost when everyone knows about it and enjoys it. But people need to realize that the more popular craft beer becomes, the more craft breweries will be needed to fill the share. And for people that like good beer...that's a VERY good thing.

Same thing happens with musicians.

A lot of love for some good Michigan breweries, but I am amiss to see that Shorts Brewing in Bellaire, MI didn't make the list, while Founder's did.

Ah well...

+1

It makes no sense to dislike a product because of hype or popularity. It is like the cool indie rock kids totally ignoring good records because they're too cool for the rest of music. Yes, Sam's face has been plastered everywhere and DFH has an insane following. But hype like that is good for craft beer, no matter what.

a little off topic but, I've never really liked the majority of DFH beers. 90 is ok but I won't go out and have it as my first choice, 120 is just plain horrible. Festina Peche is outstanding but you can't get it all the time. mostly I just am not too impressed, sometimes I think they just go a little too out there for my tastes. I appreciate what they are doing and am glad that Sam is making money and doing good things for the craft beer industry, but their beer just isn't really my taste.

That's actually a pretty good list. You could argue all day about the order, but I think they got a pretty complete list.

I agree almost completely. The only one left out that I feel really deserves to be on that list is Great Lakes Brewing Company.

a little off topic but, I've never really liked the majority of DFH beers. 90 is ok but I won't go out and have it as my first choice, 120 is just plain horrible. Festina Peche is outstanding but you can't get it all the time. mostly I just am not too impressed, sometimes I think they just go a little too out there for my tastes. I appreciate what they are doing and am glad that Sam is making money and doing good things for the craft beer industry, but their beer just isn't really my taste.

I'm not a huge fan either. I was playing devil's advocate for a guy who liked them more when he was "special". That said, I don't think any of their beers are horrible, rather not to my taste. I think they're well crafted and thought out, and they all serve their purpose. Would I call 120 Minute an IPA? Not really, but it is an interesting beer for what it is, and it was made well. You just have a whole new realm of beer when you get over about 12% alcohol. So I applaud DFH for what they do because they're keeping true to themselves and making a good product for the people who want it.

I'm sure this article will cause some debate. But you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Victory Brewing Company
Headquarters: Downington, Pa

BTW, it's Downingtown

FAIL post

I suppose you'd rather watch BudLight Grooler commercials

I agree almost completely. The only one left out that I feel really deserves to be on that list is Great Lakes Brewing Company.
They definitely should have been on this list before Stone. Great Lakes might not do as many crazy one off beers as some of these breweries, but everything they do is perfect. Stone is out of touch, every one off they do is either more hops or a beer they already do but with Belgian yeast. People are over hops and this whole using Belgian yeast in everything trend is really wearing thin. The only beer they have made in recent memory that was worth a damn is that bitter chocolate stout and it still wasn't as good as anything Great Lakes makes.

Its funny you and I were thinking basically the same thing but for different reasons. As a sales/marketing person I can only congratulate Sam for getting the word out so damned successfully.

My issue is with the beer itself. I don't think "gimmicky" is really the proper word but I find most of his beers other than 60 and 90 Minute to be too reliant on the "unusual-ness" that he touts. I like DFH beers but I almost never want a second one of the same style at one sitting. In fact I often want to share one of his beers rather than drink the whole thing.

I bought a mixed case of DFH beers last X'mas and still have 13 of them left.

As far as the list, I think it is a fine sampling of some the best US made beers. Yes I'm sure there are quite a few arguable omissions but the ones included deserve to be there.

decent article - I agree with a lot of the entries but not necessarily the order. IMHO Stone should be much much higher, Sam Adams shouldn't be on the list (let's face it - most of their beers really aren't that great. The Boston Lager, Octoberfest, and Black Lager are the only above average beers they make).

I'm glad to see Rogue and Deschutes on there.

decent article - I agree with a lot of the entries but not necessarily the order. IMHO Stone should be much much higher, Sam Adams shouldn't be on the list (let's face it - most of their beers really aren't that great. The Boston Lager, Octoberfest, and Black Lager are the only above average beers they make).

I'm glad to see Rogue and Deschutes on there.

Boston Lager is still an above average beer.
Their Cream Stout is outstanding.

Sam Adams is the gateway drug

No doubt it's a great list, and I haven't had every brewery on there, but it's definitely a matter of taste. There are quite a few breweries that I would place on that list over some that are on there.

Lost coast
Ninkasi
Anderson valley
Green Flash

Just name a few according to my tastes.

A lot of love for some good Michigan breweries, but I am amiss to see that Shorts Brewing in Bellaire, MI didn't make the list, while Founder's did.

Ah well...

While I would have loved you see them on the list, I'm not sure you can reasonably compare Short's to Founders. No question Short's is a good brewery, but I would put them more on the level of New Holland than Founders.

Despite making nothing but the worst mass-produced horse swill for the half-century that followed Prohibition, the U.S. is now the greatest nation on earth when it comes to beer.

I would have to agree with most of the breweries on the list that I've tried. I am a little disheartened that Magic Hat didn't make the cut. Growing up in New England, this is one of the things I miss the most being away.
You could imagine my excitement locating a 6 pack of #9 when I was in Atlanta a couple months ago. Had no idea their distribution reached that far!

Back