The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, unofficially, someone named Robert from Connecticut appears to have advanced a 1A in Chicago. I wouldn't go draining that keg just yet...

Ha, well, the keg is drained (that was a very popular poker night brew for my bud-light loving friends), but I have three bottles tucked away in the lagering cooler, just in case. I won't drink them yet - thanks! :rockin:

Looks like they are still judging in Nashville. This FB update from late Sunday night makes it seem like they will try to wrap it up Tuesday night. (18 days after the start of their judging....)

"Are there any other BJCP Certified judges on this page who can make it to Mayday in Murfreesboro Tuesday from about 6 to 8-9 , We are having a bottle share, pizza, and if we can get another judge or two the judging will go quickly. Would like to make sure we are covered in case of a judge not being able to show up. This will finish up the contest and we need to finish Tuesday. We have 4 judges scheduled to show and can pair up with novices if necessary."
thanks for passing along the FB update! I'm one of the ppl left on earth that dosent have FB..

Hmmm...this is the second post about folks getting their score sheets from Denver. I'm in Utah so it shouldn't take very long via snail mail. I haven't seen anything yet, but haven't been able to check the mail yet today. I wish they'd hurry and post results.

Just checked the mail and still nadã. I guess I'm going to have to treat this like my sour beers and just pretend it doesn't exist for a while.

Just checked the mail and still nadã. I guess I'm going to have to treat this like my sour beers and just pretend it doesn't exist for a while.

If it makes you feel better I live less than 20 minutes from the Denver Drop off location and have not received anything either.

If it makes you feel better I live less than 20 minutes from the Denver Drop off location and have not received anything either.

Ha, OK I'll quit complaining then. They must be mailing them out in batches or something. I got to drop mine off this year as I was in Denver visiting friends. Station 26 is pretty cool and I really enjoyed their Juicy Banger IPA.

d'oh re-brewed my brown ale yesterday and everything went perfect until I decided (like an idiot) to toss in an ounce of whole flower Citra! I jammed my system up and was only able to get about 3 gallons. Looks like I'll be brewing it again on Friday.

Got the NY score sheets yesterday, and now I am more confused than ever, can someone explain, at least in the cider category, how the mini- BOS works?

I had 3 ciders entered in the specialty cider category out of 21 other entries, each in a different sub category, and all 3 advanced to the mino BOS and then 2 of the 3 advanced to the finals (scored 34.5 & 35.5) However the one that went to the mini-BOS and did not advance scored higher (38) than the 2 that advanced to finals, I thought the first round was chosen merely on the score sheets?

The best beers of the flight are moved to mini Bos. Then the judges choose their top three. They don't know the score of the advancing beers. You need at least a 30.

Got the NY score sheets yesterday, and now I am more confused than ever, can someone explain, at least in the cider category, how the mini- BOS works?

I had 3 ciders entered in the specialty cider category out of 21 other entries, each in a different sub category, and all 3 advanced to the mino BOS and then 2 of the 3 advanced to the finals (scored 34.5 & 35.5) However the one that went to the mini-BOS and did not advance scored higher (38) than the 2 that advanced to finals, I thought the first round was chosen merely on the score sheets?

Mini-BOS is used when a category is split into multiple groups of judges (this is almost all categories at NHC, and most large comps, and then sometimes particularly large categories at small comps). The entries are split up between the sets of judges (say 16 entries, two sets of judges each judge 8 of them). Each set of judges then sends up their top three, and the highest ranked judges from each set then work together tasting those top 6 side by side to determine first through third.

Basically score determines who advances to mini-BOS. At mini-BOS, previous scores are ignored, and there's a reason for that. If one flight of judges is harsher or more generous than another, the scores won't line up (and that's very common). One set of judges could give a beer (or in this case a cider) a 38 and the other set could have given the same exact entry a 33. If it went on scores alone, that could be the difference between placing/advancing, and not. This way, each entry is given a fair and equal evaluation.

Sometimes it works that high scoring entries miss out, or that lower scoring entries advance or even win. Sometimes that's because the original judges were overly generous or overly harsh. Sometimes an entry can be perfectly to style, but lack the "intangibles" to make it stand out among the others (this is where lower gravity milder beers can potentially unfairly suffer in comps unless the judges are good at what they do). In many comps (where the same bottle is used for both judging and mini-BOS and the 2nd reserved for best of show, but this isn't the case with NHC as the second bottle IS the mini-BOS bottle), simply sitting after opening (even if recapped and put back in the fridge) can do enough damage to cause a beer wonderful when judging to falter in mini-BOS (I've had that happen many, many times when judging).

Hope that helps.

I got a 1st and a 3rd in the first round last year. 1st was a Belgian Wit, 3rd was a Belgian Blond. Still waiting for Chicago to post this year.

They didn't do that great in the finals. They were 46 and 43 in the first round, and neither broke 35 in the finals. I didn't rebrew, and they were 6-8 months old.

How many here have placed in the final round before? What was the brew?

I got a silver with a Munich Helles in 2012. My first ever lager!

I've had a few get through first round in the years since by no joy in the finals. I'm hoping for at least 1 of the 4 this year to get something.

I have had 6 make it to the finals over the last 3-4 years, with 3 more making it this year. Of those 6 that have made it to the finals, 3 made mini BOS in their category. However, I still have yet to snag a medal at NHC. Hoping I can pull one off this year. All 3 entries are rebrewed already.

I was expecting a quick post on results from Chicago, guess not. Indy next year and never Nashville. One would think a national competition would be ran better than a local or state comp.

From the AHA forum:

The selection of the competition sites pretty much depends on having a core group of people step up (contact the AHA) to organize the competition locally. Volunteers need to have an adequate pool of BJCP judges in the region for the competition. Volunteers pick the judging date from a range of dates available (March through April), and they need to make sure they don't have competing competitions, festivals, beer week events, spring break, or other conflicts that could hurt their chances to complete the competition.

That being said, there will be site changes for the 2017 NHC, as there are inevitably every year. Florida has requested to be an NHC First Round site next year, as has Kansas City. Typically the AHA gives first right of refusal to the existing sites.

Thanks to all of the people who have volunteered to put on the NHC over the last 10 years! I really, really appreciate your enthusiasm, and effort, and most importantly, your time and devotion to homebrewing. Cheers to you!

Cheers,
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director

First year that I haven't made it through to the finals. That was a bummer.

Edit - My American Barleywine made it through in St. Paul. That is not a bummer.

It looks like most are posted now. It doesn't show that on the main page, but the results are on the winners page. 3 out of 5 isn't bad.

Bingo! Gold in nashville with a north east style ipa

Good for you - I have been hesitant to enter mine in the past because I figured it would just get overlooked due to the hazy/cloudy appearance. Get a decent score, but not place type of thing. Good to hear you did well with one like this.

Good for you - I have been hesitant to enter mine in the past because I figured it would just get overlooked due to the hazy/cloudy appearance. Get a decent score, but not place type of thing. Good to hear you did well with one like this.
Thanks! Your northeast ipa thread was instrmental in making this brew. Was just reviewing it before rebrew!

Ah well, none of my three entries went on to the second round. They were all award winners in other competitions (the Pacific Brewers Cup and the National Organic Homebrew Competition, in particular), so I thought I had a pretty good shot at moving up. I entered in 20B (Historical Beer - Gose, 24 entries), 21A (Belgian Blonde Ale, 28 entries), and 24A (Spice, Herb, and Vegetable Beer - Vanilla Porter, 30 entries). Looking forward to getting my scoresheets to see how they compare to the other feedback I've received.

Congratulations to everyone who has beers going to Baltimore!

Ah well, none of my three entries went on to the second round. They were all award winners in other competitions (the Pacific Brewers Cup and the National Organic Homebrew Competition, in particular), so I thought I had a pretty good shot at moving up. I entered in 20B (Historical Beer - Gose, 24 entries), 21A (Belgian Blonde Ale, 28 entries), and 24A (Spice, Herb, and Vegetable Beer - Vanilla Porter, 30 entries). Looking forward to getting my scoresheets to see how they compare to the other feedback I've received.

Congratulations to everyone who has beers going to Baltimore!

Outside of the scores themselves, don't expect much for feedback. Checklist scoresheets and such.

3 out of 5 for me in Chicago. English bitter 1st, ipa 2nd, and pale 3rd. I have to rebrew all of them this weekend. They didn't last long with my buddies.

Latest posts

Back