The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one beer go through, but I wont be re-brewing, its a Lager, just wouldn't make sense. Luckily, the last 3 bottles in existence are in my fridge waiting to go to Baltimore. We are also hoping the location is close enough to drive the entries up rather than shipping them, as long as it is anywhere near Baltimore, it should be OK...

I plan on driving mine as well. Mobtown is only 45 mins away if traffic cooperates.

Another email from the AHA regarding Nashville

Thanks for submitting your entries to the Nashville judging center, and/or volunteering for the competition.

The judging is nearly complete. We greatly appreciate your continued patience and understanding. The competition organizers are doing their best to complete the judging as soon as possible this week, and the AHA is verifying results as they come in.

All score sheets from the competition are sent out by the Nashville competition organizers one to two weeks following the conclusion of the judging.

You will be notified again by email when the results from your competition are posted on the Winners page of the AHA website.

After all 12 First Round competitions are complete, your results—with a downloadable letter and any certificates earned by your entries’ scores—will be available in your record on the competition site. You will receive an email telling you when you can log into your record for this information.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,

John Moorhead, Director
Janis Gross, Director
National Homebrew Competition

That would be the best.
Didnt Justin say to not do the Brewing Network team thing this year?

I'm still waiting on Nashville as well. I might start the BJCP testing. Seems like a shortage of judges in the SE.

It's going to be a real tight window for rebrews for those at the remaining sites. I'm about to start lagering the only beer I think has a shot at the 2nd round. Not sure I have enough in the last keg for three bottles.

Didnt Justin say to not do the Brewing Network team thing this year?

I'm still waiting on Nashville as well. I might start the BJCP testing. Seems like a shortage of judges in the SE.

It's going to be a real tight window for rebrews for those at the remaining sites. I'm about to start lagering the only beer I think has a shot at the 2nd round. Not sure I have enough in the last keg for three bottles.
+1 On the wait. Hopefully there will be enough time to ship any 2nd rounders before the shipping deadline ends. At this rate we might get our scores around the time the whole thing is over! :)

+1 On the wait. Hopefully there will be enough time to ship any 2nd rounders before the shipping deadline ends. At this rate we might get our scores around the time the whole thing is over! :)

The AHA will have everything done by May 4th, and the entries will be due anytime between Wednesday, May 18th and Friday, May 27, 2016.

Unfortunately, it doesn't give some folks the opportunity to rebrew if they wanted to.

Just received this from the AHA

Thanks for submitting your entries to the Nashville judging center, and/or volunteering for the competition.

The judging is nearly complete. We greatly appreciate your continued patience and understanding. The competition organizers are doing their best to complete the judging as soon as possible this week, and the AHA is verifying results as they come in.

All score sheets from the competition are sent out by the Nashville competition organizers one to two weeks following the conclusion of the judging.

You will be notified again by email when the results from your competition are posted on the Winners page of the AHA website.

After all 12 First Round competitions are complete, your results—with a downloadable letter and any certificates earned by your entries’ scores—will be available in your record on the competition site. You will receive an email telling you when you can log into your record for this information.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,

John Moorhead, Director
Janis Gross, Director
National Homebrew Competition

Does anyone how about how long after the judging that the results were posted in the regions that have posted so far? Excluding Nashville

Does anyone how about how long after the judging that the results were posted in the regions that have posted so far? Excluding Nashville

i think like 4-5 days...the friday after judging was complete....something like that.

Other than those who picked up after judging, anyone gotten scoresheets yet? Haven't seen anything from NYC

First time entering. I got my scores back today and looks like one of my entries made the mini-BOS. Does that mean that beer's advancing? Waiting on the Philly results to be posted.

First time entering. I got my scores back today and looks like one of my entries made the mini-BOS. Does that mean that beer's advancing? Waiting on the Philly results to be posted.

Your score sheet cover page would've indicated the place awarded if it was top 3.

Your score sheet cover page would've indicated the place awarded if it was top 3.

Not necessarily. Had several a couple cover sheets with basically nothing marked. Wait for the official results to be posted.

Assuming I'm not burned by verification, my entry on the winner list had no placement marked either.

I doubt it, they have had these issues for several years. I am sure that the organizers and volunteers work very hard but they are the only site that consistently takes 2-3 weeks to complete.

From what I understand Tampa is being courted to become a new hub. So it could be their replacement. Or at least take a lot of pressure off TN

I got my philly scores in the mail yesterday without any place awarded or mini BOS checkmarks. I hope that was just an oversight :eek:

Wow you got scoresheets before results were even posted? I'm entering Philly next year...2 weeks later and I'm still waiting for Nashville to even switch to verifying.

Tampa usually hosts the best Florida beer championships at the end of February/beginning of March, but moved the homebrew side of the it to October this year to clear room for nhc. After Nashville's poor showing once again, I'd bee surprised if nhc se isn't in Tampa next year.

I got my philly scores in the mail yesterday without any place awarded or mini BOS checkmarks. I hope that was just an oversight :eek:

got mine today...both advanced to mini bos but no place numbers.

Stiiiiilll waiting on Austin scores. I'd really like to know how close some of the beers got so I know whether to drink or enter these beers in other local competitions.

Got my Philly results today Thank you to all the Judges and those that made this possible. This is my second competition and 1st national Comp, I definitely have room for improvement.

Oatmeal Coffee Stout: 36
Judge's Comments- I would drink a pint of this beer. Black w/ Beige Head, Lace, bready, roasty, Fruity/Grassy, Clear Coffee keeping the creaminess, Coffee evens the sweetness.

My Opinion - I agree it is very good. Brewed on my RIMS Rocket system. Friends drank 10 Gallons. Not sure what to change to make better, might try Espresso beans instead. Mostly Chinook Hops w/ some Fantasia and Eureka could play with the mix more.

Mixed style - DIPA/Saison: 32
Judge's Comments - I would buy a pint of this beer, Yellow, cloudy, Lace, white head, Interesting Idea, Nice, Saison character very low, Some saison Yeast notes/Perplexing, a Little Funk, DIPA dominates, Malt Balancing Needed. Marked Flawed not ABV 8.5% (Brewers friend says 8.14-8.45% Standard vs. Alternate, I use both a hydrometer and refractometer for OG and the hydrometer for FG and check the calibration frequently -Oh well)

My Opinion - Inspired by m00ps Sunny-D and brewed on a Zymatic. Fantastic Fresh. I Bottled this one off the Keg In February and tasting a bottle now in April The funk did fade and so did a lot of the hop Aroma and Flavor. Next Time I will add 3711 and the Conan at the same time (I had waited till the start of third day to add 3711 on this batch). I also need to time the peak flavor better for the Judging time, maybe purge Bottles Longer? Keg did not last long enough for flavors to fade. After Drinking a few Bottles of these I can attest it is stronger than 8% but my inebriation skills are not quite attuned to .5% differences.

Wow, there are a lot of lager entries. And there's only one Brewing Network member.

I would think that BN pretty much stopped submitting because we were tired of the whining and poor sportsmanship of some of the people. I know I submitted under my local club this year. So now everyone can whine about the mega clubs winning every year.

I would think that BN pretty much stopped submitting because we were tired of the whining and poor sportsmanship of some of the people. I know I submitted under my local club this year. So now everyone can whine about the mega clubs winning every year.

With the new rules this year with points only from the final round counting, it would be cool to see a club with a couple great brewers walk away with COTY.

I have 4 in the finals and if I get gold with all of them (yeah...like that's going to happen), my club could be in the running. That would be funny. I may even boo myself :)

Got my Philly results today Thank you to all the Judges and those that made this possible. This is my second competition and 1st national Comp, I definitely have room for improvement.

Oatmeal Coffee Stout: 36
Judge's Comments- I would drink a pint of this beer. Black w/ Beige Head, Lace, bready, roasty, Fruity/Grassy, Clear Coffee keeping the creaminess, Coffee evens the sweetness.

My Opinion - I agree it is very good. Brewed on my RIMS Rocket system. Friends drank 10 Gallons. Not sure what to change to make better, might try Espresso beans instead. Mostly Chinook Hops w/ some Fantasia and Eureka could play with the mix more.

Mixed style - DIPA/Saison: 32
Judge's Comments - I would buy a pint of this beer, Yellow, cloudy, Lace, white head, Interesting Idea, Nice, Saison character very low, Some saison Yeast notes/Perplexing, a Little Funk, DIPA dominates, Malt Balancing Needed. Marked Flawed not ABV 8.5% (Brewers friend says 8.14-8.45% Standard vs. Alternate, I use both a hydrometer and refractometer for OG and the hydrometer for FG and check the calibration frequently -Oh well)

My Opinion - Inspired by m00ps Sunny-D and brewed on a Zymatic. Fantastic Fresh. I Bottled this one off the Keg In February and tasting a bottle now in April The funk did fade and so did a lot of the hop Aroma and Flavor. Next Time I will add 3711 and the Conan at the same time (I had waited till the start of third day to add 3711 on this batch). I also need to time the peak flavor better for the Judging time, maybe purge Bottles Longer? Keg did not last long enough for flavors to fade. After Drinking a few Bottles of these I can attest it is stronger than 8% but my inebriation skills are not quite attuned to .5% differences.

Those are good scores, congrats!

I would suggest you enter the same beers into some BJCP competitions for some better feedback on how to improve them. I look at NHC as a chance to enter already proven 'the best of the best' beers for recognition, rather than a place to get feedback on how to improve your recipes/process.

Back