Thats all? Only 1 oz??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I'm following a clone recipe which I found online for a Lake Placid Ubu ale. This is the first all-grain BIAB recipe I'm doing with some specialty grains. List is as follows:
9 lbs Maris Otter pale ale malt
1.5 lbs wheat
1 lb English crystal malt (50-60 L)
1 oz Midnight Wheat (US)/Bairds Black Malt/Black Patent
1 oz Chocolate (UK)/Briess 2-Row Chocolate Malt
1.5 oz Fuggle pellet hops 7.5 AAU
1 oz Cluster pellet hops 7 AAU
1 oz Mt. Hood pellet hops 4 AAU
1 tsp Irish Moss
London Ale (Wyeast 1318)/Burton Ale (WLP023)/Danstar London Ale yeast

Seems like some similar recipes for this clone are the same, I'm just surprised that all I am supposed to use is 1 oz of Midnight Wheat and Chocolate malts. Is that really all it takes to influence the flavors considering I'm using so much of the Maris Otter and wheat? It just surprises me that so little is used.

I'm following a clone recipe which I found online for a Lake Placid Ubu ale.
[snip]
Seems like some similar recipes for this clone are the same, I'm just surprised that all I am supposed to use is 1 oz of Midnight Wheat and Chocolate malts. Is that really all it takes to influence the flavors considering I'm using so much of the Maris Otter and wheat? It just surprises me that so little is used.

I bet the chocolate and midnight malts are mostly for color. Two ounces in 10 pounds of malt really will darken it. No idea if it will affect the flavor.

It is just for color. Another way I'm told the British often get their color on pales/IPA's is to boil longer.

Why bother with BOTH Midnight wheat AND chocolate then if it is only for color. Why not just add one or the other?

Why bother with BOTH Midnight wheat AND chocolate then if it is only for color. Why not just add one or the other?

Good question, I would go just with one or the other. Using 2 oz chocolate for color on occasion I have thought I could just taste a hint of roast, but it might be my imagination.

I bet it's like chickypad said- 2 oz of chocolate would be discernable in an IPA. Midnight wheat shouldn't be, so I'd either leave out the chocolate and double the midnight wheat, or see what the color is with just the midnight wheat.

I'm brewing a red in the next day or two, and I'm using one ounce of midnight wheat in a 10 gallon batch to get a copper color.

Back