Thanks to forum members (among others)!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markman_S

I BREW THE BEER I DRINK!
Reaction score
Long story short, I just entered my first BJCP competition this past weekend.... AND WON BEST IN SHOW!

I joined the Bridger Brew Crew here in Bozeman back in the fall and have become an relatively active member. At the first meeting I attended, there were grumblings of the 2017 Bozeman Brewoff being held in March, which was a BJCP sanctioned competition, so I thought, "Why the heck not?". After all, your first two entries were free to club members. I tweaked a Porter recipe I had brewed before, brewed it the following weekend, and took some samples to the January meeting. I got plenty of feedback from some of the folks I would be competing against and experienced brewers (including the Head Brewer at Bozeman Brewing), took that back and tweaked the recipe again. It was a peat smoked porter, and in the past, folks either really loved it... or really hated it. The first few bottles i cracked open from the "competition batch" were really solid, but as we all know, we are our own worst critics. Anyway, the judging was this past weekend (3/18 and 3/19), and low and behold, I came out on top. There were about 70 entries total.

I couldn't have done this without all the folks on this forum that have been an invaluable resource. Anytime I need ANY type of information about brewing, this is my first stop.

Thanks to the guys and gals at Portland U-Brew and Pub for all your recommendations, feedback, and good conversation.

Thanks to Gene and Todd at Arch Bridge Tap House (Oregon City, OR) for the support and general love of everything fermented. Keep leading the sour revolution!!!! The OC will get it eventually!

And last but not least, thanks to my new beer family here in Bozeman. May we remain good friends yet fierce competitors!:mug:

If any of you were wondering, my beer was a 5 gallon all-grain batch of Peat-Smoked Porter, mashed in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler rigged with a convex false bottom, boiled in an 8 gallon pot on a propane burner on a blistering 5 degree day, and fermented in a 5 gallon bucket. My three BJCP scores were 38, 39, and 43 with an overall of 40.

The grand prize was a 10 gallon whiskey barrel, some swag, and the opportunity to help brew MY recipe on Bridger Brewing's 10-barrel system!

Again, thanks to everyone.

Shawn M.

view

20170102_112833.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back