TGM-5R Kegerator conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
Ok, I feel bad because I've been posting a lot of these types of threads as I'm evaluating several potential refrigerators to turn into a kegerator. However, I think I've found the one. I searched on here for threads related to this model but couldn't find any.

It's a Tura-TGM-5R model with a solid door instead of the glass(possibly replaceable in the future). I want to do a dual tap tower on the top. Here is a PDF for it-
http://www.restaurantmall.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/TURA-TGM-5R.pdf

I used the link below to make sure I could fit 2 corneys and a commercial tap in there. It looks as though I can, it has the "hump" in the bottom so it shouldn't require any line moving.
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html

Does anyone see any reason why this WOULDN'T work? It's a great deal and I'd love to close on it if I could.

Ok, I feel bad because I've been posting a lot of these types of threads as I'm evaluating several potential refrigerators to turn into a kegerator. However, I think I've found the one. I searched on here for threads related to this model but couldn't find any.

It's a Tura-TGM-5R model with a solid door instead of the glass(possibly replaceable in the future). I want to do a dual tap tower on the top. Here is a PDF for it-
http://www.restaurantmall.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/TURA-TGM-5R.pdf

I used the link below to make sure I could fit 2 corneys and a commercial tap in there. It looks as though I can, it has the "hump" in the bottom so it shouldn't require any line moving.
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html

Does anyone see any reason why this WOULDN'T work? It's a great deal and I'd love to close on it if I could.

I know I am resurrecting an old thread but, I have an opportunity to get a really good price on one of these. Did you ever pull the trigger?

What did you end up doing? I did end up buying that model but took a hiatus from brewing...I actually JUST bought my kegerator conversion kit though so I'm ready.

How did yours turn out?

What did you end up doing? I did end up buying that model but took a hiatus from brewing...I actually JUST bought my kegerator conversion kit though so I'm ready.

How did yours turn out?

I actually just picked up the unit today for $75! Its a little rough but I think I got a great deal. Think it will be a bit before I convert it, gotta save some cash.... If you can document your journey that would be awesome! Really happy you responded to such an old thread!

Cheers

Are you going with a tower or going through the side of the unit? Did you verify two kegs fit without issues?

Oh & i have one with a glass door

2015-05-22 16.32.28.jpg

I went with a tower unit, I didn't verify but after checking the math, I'm not sure how you'd get 2 kegs in there. I went with the single tap and I bought a Sanke coupler to change out when I want to switch between homebrew and commercial.

I think the glass door looks fancy, I don't have one. I'm thinking of maybe changing mine out for glass or for some sort of homebrew poster looking thing.

Ok, I finally did it this past Friday. It turned out pretty great as far as I can tell, still waiting for my IPA to finish up so I can keg it. I apologize for the not-so-great pictures, I got a little excited while building and forgot to take the step by step pictures.
All and all, it went pretty smooth, there was only one Hiccup. The fridge had an "L" shaped cooling plate that went along the back wall and then across the top. It's connected through cooling lines and appears to be the way the fridge gets cold so I knew I couldn't drill through it.
I ended up bending it down onto it self (VERY carefully) and it seems to still be working just fine. I came up with the idea from reading a couple threads on here...the trick is to go very, very slowly. I put the fridge on its back and then pressed down with slowly increasing pressure until it was folded almost in half. I did leave a little space between the two folded sides so that it a) wouldn't crack and b) could still let cold air escape.

Here is a picture of the cold plate at finish…
attachment.php

After that, I just selected a spot in the middle about 4 inches up from the back of the fridge to drill. I was a little nervous at this point but I drilled through with no issues.

I got some plumbers putty to seal the insulation and then some aluminum tape to go over-top that to ensure the insulation didn’t get wet.
After that, I ran a copper pipe heat-sink down into the fridge and ran my tubing through there. I found a larger size pipe but only ended up needing about a foot with my tower. The ‘T’ at the end isn’t really needed but I thought it would let me have the tube go easily to one side of the fridge, I’ll see if it causes any issues with beer flow and remove if it does (it’s only press-fit on)
attachment.php

After that, I just installed the tower assembly as normal and now have an awesome kegerator!
attachment.php

unnamed.jpg

IMG_20150610_211004707.jpg

IMG_20150605_175029993.jpg

Are you using a temp controller or just the thermostat that came with the fridge? Any chance you could remove the thermostat and squeeze one more in? I am currently using my as a beer fridge and I can fit around 4 cases in there at one time as well as my harvested yeast.. Maybe trim down the "racks" as well?

Back