Testing used chest freezer with temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Hello,

Cannot find the thread I read on this a long time ago, please excuse the unnecessary post.

I have a used chest freezer that I'd like to test before converting to keezer. The steps I vaguely remember from aforementioned thread were something like... put a glass of water in the freezer. Put thermowell in the water. Put temp controller probe in thermowell. Set target temp to 32F (maybe 33?). Let it go for a week and, if the water doesn't freeze, freezer is safe to use... Something like that.

Any help if appreciated, thanks!

look in DIY projects ; " most people use a after market temp. control off amazon. If the freezer works it just depends on how cold you like your beer.

Thanks for your response. However, what I'm trying to figure out is the freezer's ability to efficiently do its job. I have Inkbird to test it with. I also think it's worth mentioning that the ground post on the power plug is gone. My question is what do I do next?

In other words, if you came across a used chest freezer, what would you do to verify it is in good working condition?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe there is a set of steps that most brewers use. I just plugged it in to my temperature controller and went along assuming it worked. Perhaps I should have tested it, but I didn't.

That said, I think your test seems like it might work. Although you probably wouldn't want to serve beer at 32F.

If you have an Inkbird, all you need to verify is that the freezer actually works. I'd just plug it in without the temp controller, put a container of water in it and check it in 24 hours. THe water should be frozen. The Inkbird will control the temp when you're really using it and will allow you to decide what your serving temp is.
If you're worried about the missing ground, just replace the plug.

I would use a gallon of water to have the probe of the controller in. Set the temperature to something like 38°F. Check the temperature of the water after a couple of days with another thermometer. With a larger volume of water audibly checking the cycling of the freezers compressor will be somewhat more accurate.

Thanks for your response. However, what I'm trying to figure out is the freezer's ability to efficiently do its job. I have Inkbird to test it with. I also think it's worth mentioning that the ground post on the power plug is gone. My question is what do I do next?

In other words, if you came across a used chest freezer, what would you do to verify it is in good working condition?

Thanks!

In order to test the freezer before converting, fill a bucket of water and leave it in there for about 24 hours. A gallon will easily freeze solid in that time. Note that the bucket may split when it freezes...

Also look at the frost pattern on the inside walls after the 24 hours. There should be a relatively even frostiness to it. If the frost is only building in one small area, or if the walls are really wet, there is a problem (when used as a keezer, it's normal for the inside to have a lot of moisture, but not when used as a freezer).

Repair the ground prong! If an electrical component shorts in future, the cabinet may become live. If you are using it as a keezer, then all the condensation will help in getting a pretty nasty shock!

If it freezes water, it's cold enough. The Inkbird will control the temp allowing the freezer to go on and off as needed. Set the freezer temp control to max; it'll never get there, but you don't have to worry about it that way.

I would use a gallon of water to have the probe of the controller in. Set the temperature to something like 38°F. Check the temperature of the water after a couple of days with another thermometer. With a larger volume of water audibly checking the cycling of the freezers compressor will be somewhat more accurate.

Fortunately, I have the freezer here at work with the Inkbird connected. Which means I can verify that the Inkbird is cycling on the freezer's compressor.

Also look at the frost pattern on the inside walls after the 24 hours. There should be a relatively even frostiness to it. If the frost is only building in one small area, or if the walls are really wet, there is a problem (when used as a keezer, it's normal for the inside to have a lot of moisture, but not when used as a freezer).

Repair the ground prong! If an electrical component shorts in future, the cabinet may become live. If you are using it as a keezer, then all the condensation will help in getting a pretty nasty shock!

Really great thoughts, thank you.
Parts of the wall and floor are kind of gouged but nothing too deep? I can get photos if anyone cares to see.

As for repairing the ground, what do you take me for? A genius?! :D
Definitely want to plan for a safer system so repairing that ground is something I'd want to do. I'll ask some of my local pals for advice unless you all want to chime in.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back