Tested negative for celiac sprue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
Thank frikken god! I've been worrying about that for years! I have 5 immediate family members who are positive. Celebrating with a Cantillon Gueuze, Cantillon Kriek and an Upright 6 and 7. :mug::ban::D:):rockin::p;):tank:

Which test(s) did they use? If they ran both Anti-tissue transglutaminase Antibody and IgA anti-endomysial Antibody AND both tests were negative, it's close to 100% certain you don't have it.

Did they do an endoscopy? I believe that's the ultimate test. But perhaps they only do that if the antibody tests are positive, just as a confirmation.

Gastrointestinal diseases can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint. Congrats on your test results and let's hope it's not something else!

I'm not sure which test I got. Still waiting on the paperwork. The doc said it was a very accurate test but I don't get to see him till next week. I only got tested cause my family pushed me, I have no symptoms and I feel great. They did say they found some liver abnormality and I need some more blood work. Crossing my fingers that there is nothing going on there.

Why takes tests for diseases you have no symptoms for and no cause to even imagine you have?
There are a few allergies that my mothers side has that seem to develop late. I all of a sudden was allergic to aged cheese last year. My mother and grandmothers theory was that it had something to do with the intestinal damage celiac sprue causes. I wanted to find out before I got sick and they were taking blood for a workup anyway. My mother, grandmother and sister cannot eat cheese, onion family, and now gluten. My Grandmother remembers her father and grandfather also having those food allergies.

Why takes tests for diseases you have no symptoms for and no cause to even imagine you have?

Because he is high risk and you can have the disease without having symptoms. If he has it, he is severely damaging his intestines with every bit of wheat gluten he ingests. Happily, it does not sound like he has been afflicted. I only pointed out that the test is not always accurate, however, since he also has no symptoms it sounds like very good news.

I got ya.

It's just that I have been having crazy GI issues for over 10 years now, and the tests that I have had to go through... well... let's say I wouldn't have done any of them if my insides didn't seem to hate me.

Back