Japanese Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codybaldwin

Oyster Baron
Reaction score
Hello!

Hailing from rural Japan.

Long time reader second time poster (posted earlier today regarding a post from about 5-7 years ago).

Got quote a few beers under my belt. Have used this website countless times to sate my curiosity. Skipped straight to all-grain because I inherited quite a bit of equipment from a predecessor. I used to use a really cool old ittoubin, which is used for testing small experimental batches of sake at breweries here ( http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/1ee/1562516/20110629_2004096.jpg ). It was a HUGE hassle to clean though. I've since invested in quite a bit of imported and domestic equipment (the catalyst, brew jacket, two weld brewing pot, crafted a mash-tun from a costco cooler, temperature controllers and an old fridge for beer only, etc.)

ANYWAY, I think I have a bit of experience under my belt and may have some more specific questions and want to participate in the community more so I'm finally posting.

Also, I just want to thank all the anonymous folks who have posted here, it's really an amazing resource. The fellow from my ふるさと (hometown [not sure if you can type Japanese on this forum]) of Indiana who made the Brew Water spreadsheet is a small god (whose replies I have used a lot since I jumped straight into AG). And the folks who run this forum are awesome. Thank you!

My wife's family owns an oyster company here in Ako (bonus points if you can figure out about it). I've also lived in Sakai Osaka, Tatsuno and Aioi in Hyogo.

:mug:
2481383.jpg
:mug:

Well good for you to say all that. Your English is impeccable. I work for a Japanese company (Daicel) and so I understand some of the culture, though I don't hope to ever truly integrate as a full citizen in the company. If you are ever in AZ USA, hit me up and I'll take you to a brewery or two around here.

Well good for you to say all that. Your English is impeccable. I work for a Japanese company (Daicel) and so I understand some of the culture, though I don't hope to ever truly integrate as a full citizen in the company. If you are ever in AZ USA, hit me up and I'll take you to a brewery or two around here.

Actually, I'm American by birth--I live and work in Japan with my wife. Used to be an English teacher so my English better be pretty dang good, lol.

Looks like Diacel has a research center and a couple other buildings in Himeji, about 20 minutes on the train from where I live. If for some reason you're ever in Hyogo, let me know and I'll return the offer!

Back