Tennessee Group Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The money was sent off on Thursday. I will update when I have a shipping confirmation.

John (J-Malone) and I are going to be brewing a Berliner Weisse on Sunday May 22nd as long as life doesn't get in the way for either of us. I would love to have some guys come over and brew with us. We are still trying to nail down a recipe, although John doesn't know that. We may have a 3rd person brew the recipe as well. Since it is just a simple recipe I am thinking that I may brew up a second batch at the same time. I am thinking a nice simple wheat beer will be the second recipe.

I'm actually busy on the 22nd.

Bobby,
Which bacterial culture did you have? I can pick it up today or tomorrow (umpiring post season tourney), but maybe wed/thursday and I can do the starter that night...

I say we stick with a simple recipe (pilsner and wheat and 1-2 oz or saaz or spalt hops (for 10 gallons)). Just a suggestion, as its a different beer and there is no real reason to get too creative with it, the yeast and bacteria are going to do all the work.

I agree on the simple recipe idea. The process is what I think we should talk about. I posted to the Lambic area and it seems that pitching the Lacto (which is what I have) first and letting it sit for a couple of days seems the popular choice. A lot of guys seem to be doing the mash hop with no boil. What do you want to do? I am pretty wide open on this one. I can bring the yeast either day, just let me know which day you want me to bring it.

I agree on the simple recipe idea. The process is what I think we should talk about. I posted to the Lambic area and it seems that pitching the Lacto (which is what I have) first and letting it sit for a couple of days seems the popular choice. A lot of guys seem to be doing the mash hop with no boil. What do you want to do? I am pretty wide open on this one. I can bring the yeast either day, just let me know which day you want me to bring it.

I was thinking that a 15 min boil isnt a bad idea and it will help to add a little bitterness from the hops, no boil wouldn't give much at all. As for the pitching I have no problem doing that (pitching lacto and then the yeast a couple days later). We can always do the bacteria starter and pitch it and then make the yeast starter the same day as brew day and then pitch it once it is done.

I dont know when I am going to be able to pick that up. It will have to be Thursday at the earliest. We are in the post season now so it is fast a furious and games nearly every night...

UPS dropped by today and dropped off 1 box of hops. WTF UPS:mad: The driver says he has another box for me and goes back into the truck but can't find another box. It appears that the Cascades, Centennials, Northern Brewer, Saaz, US Fuggles, Williamette, Perle, and US Goldings are in the other box:(

I will let you know when the second box show up:(

Not to change the subject but does anyone know where I can purchase a hanging scale? You know, the ones like the old hardware stores had for nails and such?

I need to measure 15-30lbs at a time so the small table top scale won't cut it.

Not to change the subject but does anyone know where I can purchase a hanging scale? You know, the ones like the old hardware stores had for nails and such?

I need to measure 15-30lbs at a time so the small table top scale won't cut it.

I have a digital postal scale that goes up to 35lbs. It is your for $15 it is a WeighMax 2822.

It appears that the Cascades, Centennials, Northern Brewer, Saaz, US Fuggles, Williamette, Perle, and US Goldings are in the other box:(

I will let you know when the second box show up:(

Sorry guys, must be my bad luck spreading into all aspects of my life that made the hops disappear.

Did you get a tracking number for the hops or are they floating in the ether right now?

No tracking number. The UPS driver said he was supposed to have two boxes today. It probably got put on another drivers' truck. I am sure it will arrive tomorrow.

Just a reminder to all of you, you are more than welcome to come over on Sunday and brew with John Malone and I. We will be brewing a Berliner Weisse. I think we will start somewhere around 9-10AM.

I am having a little difficulty with the food saver right this second. I will get with the wife tonight to see if she can help make it happen. If I can figure it out then the hops will be available to weekend.

Does anybody have an extra food saver that you can bring to my house? The damn one I have seems to be having issues. I think I have used it 3 times and now it doesn't want to vacuum out the bag:mad:

I've got a Rival Vacuum sealer that I haven't used yet. I could swing by tomorrow night or Saturday and give it a whirl if you want.

I've got a Rival Vacuum sealer that I haven't used yet. I could swing by tomorrow night or Saturday and give it a whirl if you want.

I will be home all day on Friday until 6 and then I will be home by 8. I have CPR on Saturday from 1-4, so I will be home by 4:30. Brewing on Sunday, so whatever works for you.

Hey the time I used it, I had to push down on the top to help it seal. Mine will do that sometimes.

If you would like to come over Friday I can help you, I just can't leave because I am smoking 7 butts for the bbq this weekend.

Hey the time I used it, I had to push down on the top to help it seal. Mine will do that sometimes.

If you would like to come over Friday I can help you, I just can't leave because I am smoking 7 butts for the bbq this weekend.

What time will you be home?

I will be home all day on Friday until 6 and then I will be home by 8. I have CPR on Saturday from 1-4, so I will be home by 4:30. Brewing on Sunday, so whatever works for you.

If you think we can do some hop splitting in parallel with the brew session, let's plan for that. If not, I'll Saturday evening is best for me. Give me a call or shoot me a PM and let me know what you want to do.

If you think we can do some hop splitting in parallel with the brew session, let's plan for that. If not, I'll Saturday evening is best for me. Give me a call or shoot me a PM and let me know what you want to do.

Let me see what I get accomplished today and I will let you know. Splitting the two 11# bags up will be the longest part. Making the bags will be the most time consuming. I will call Tim and let him know that I am going to be coming over.

The hops are ready to be picked-up:tank: I will be out of the house today from 6-8PM. I will also not be in on Saturday from 12-4:30 (CPR Class). I am brewing on Sunday and you are more than welcome to come and brew and enjoy a brew:rockin:

Well done. Did you figure out your sealer or did Tim come to the rescue? Either way, I'll be stopping by Sunday afternoon to collect my hops. Thanks for taking care of this for us.

Been up since 5:30 this morn just doing a little work around here and watching the smoke, so come on

That got me thinking about how I love the smell of bbq smoke in the morning...a friend and I did these for 4th of July a couple years ago.

DSC03912.jpg

That got me thinking about how I love the smell of bbq smoke in the morning...a friend and I did these for 4th of July a couple years ago.

DSC03912.jpg

Man I am tired, the butts were on for 20hrs got to bed at 4:30 Sat. morn and back up at 7..... good news everyone loved my beer, even the cream I don't like.... bad news I need to brew or I will be out of beer.

Hope to make it by for the brew at Bobby's.

Chris and I will be brewing this morning, if you are around and want to lend a hand in brewing or draining a keg stop by:D

Back