temporary lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
I have a beer that is ready to start lagering. Will it adversely affect this beer if I start lagering it now and then raise the temperature in my chest freezer back up to 50F for a few more weeks while another lager ferments later on?

I only have one fermentation chamber and I'll be brewing another lager in a week or two...would it be better for me to just keep the current lager at 50F from now until the next beer is done fermenting, or can I go ahead and start lagering this one and then raise the temp back up after I brew the next?

Sorry I'm rambling, I'm having a good beer right now. lol

You can go ahead and start lagering, or not, either way is fine. Before I had a dedicated lagering fridge, my beers just sat kegged in the basement in winter (~50F) and only saw a couple weeks of lagering in the serving fridge (~45 F) and they turned out just fine.

Great, that's good news. Thanks for that. Not being EXACTLY sure when I'll next be brewing, it will be nice to get a head start on the current beer's lagering :)

Before refrigeration they only had caves to lager in and they were around 50! So no problem either way.

Back