Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic20

Reaction score
OK, I know I've seen people talk about temperature rising during fermentation due to that activity in there, but I figure I should ask anyway: The airlock's been bubbling for a little less than a day, and the temp reading is at 73 after starting at 68, should I be concerned?

There isn't much that I can really do here, I'm brewing in an apartment so the best I can do is try to control the overall ambient temp, but I think its already below 70 as it is.

Let me know if this new brewer should be worried, and thanks again for everyone's help!

You could give it a cold water bath IF you want to drop the temperature some. A 5F increase in the temperature once the yeast goes active is pretty normal... As long as it's within the 'happy' range of the yeast, there's little to worry about. Of course, there are yeasts that give different flavors at different temperatures (talking about ale yeasts). I would plan on letting it go a bit longer in primary, depending on how your taste samples are, to help the brew get better or the yeast do some cleaning up after their party... :rockin:

Remember... RDWHAHB

I'm assuming you are using a stick on thermometer on a bucket or carboy? I usually try to get mine to read between 66-68. If your beer is at 73, you run the risk of having off flavors in your beer. If I were you, I would take a towel, get is pretty wet, and wrap it around your carboy. If you have a fan in the room, turn it on. You should be able to reduce your temperatures with the wet towel trick. I'm currently fermenting 4 beers this way.

Without knowing WHAT the OP is fermenting, it's actually hard to say that the temperature is outside of the good range. What yeast is being used is also a factor. Some produce desired flavors/results when fermented on the warm side. Others will need extensive time to get rid of the flavors produced, before they can be consumed...

It's Brewers Best American Amber Ale, and its an Ale Yeast by Lallemand (sp?) if that helps at all.

Latest posts

Back