Temperature & Yeast questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crudes

Reaction score
It's starting to get really, really warm by me and I'm a little afraid of fermenting in my apartment that doesn't have central A/C.

Right now I have a Honey Wheat beer sitting in the fermenter for over 3 weeks, I'm going to bottle it this weekend because it's starting to get warm and I don't want any off-flavors from the hot yeast to get into my beer.

But more importantly, I have a Corsendonk clone that I'm waiting to brew. Can anyone tell me if there's any issue in brewing the wort on say, sunday night... quickly cooling the wort down to 80 degrees, but hold off on pitching the yeast until monday morning when I drive the beer out to my parents house which has central A/C?

First question is, is there any issue with not pitching the yeast right away?
Second question is, is there any issue with all the swirling around the wort will do in my car while i drive it out to my parents?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

I am not an expert, but I think the only problem with waiting to pitch the yeast would be the risk of infection. The longer the wort sits without yeast actively fermenting, the more risk of infection.

As far as swirling around, I would think it might even be desirable because you want more oxygen in the beginning for the yeast.

Like I said, I am not an expert, but I think it have it right.

Another option would be to build a swamp cooler and try to control the fermentation temperature via the addition of ice packs. It might be worth considering and can be done on the cheap and would allow you to keep your beer on premises. Run a search on the site and see what comes up.

axr

+1 on the swamp cooler and risking infection. Better to let it sit at your place and pitch right away, than wasting an entire brewday because you had to stop quick or make a sharp turn and spilling the wort.

I would pitch at the right time, never hold off pitching because of temperature.
What happens is that infections start and get a foot hold, I would rather have a little fusal's, than a infection in the beer. I only did this once at near freezing temps, It was bad the infection caught hold and grew so the yeast never had a chance to start. I would pitch a Belgie yeast, which works great at +80 degrees, then reduce the temps, you will be fine.

Alright, much appreciated everyone. I'm going to find some sort of tub in order to make a swamp cooler.

Your wheat will be fine. It's probably ready to bottle now anyway, but the real risk of high temps is during the initial major active fermentation. Most of the rest of the time the yeast is "cleaning up".

I second the swamp cooler idea. It works great if you can change ice packs (pop bottles filled with water and frozen solid) twice a day. Might not be able to nail a specific degree that way, but it will def keep it down and help a lot. I've used a plastic tub with rope handles to place my fermenter in, then just drop in ice bottles as needed.

Latest posts

Back