• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Temperature controler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenDog

Reaction score
I'm building a new kegerator and I need a new temperature controller. Digital, analog or a DIY one, I'll consider all kinds although I"m considering trying to build it into the collar of the keezer if possible.

ive thought about selling my ranco etc-11100000 for cash to buy a new stc-1000 temp controller but .. if your looking for one its super simple to put together.

ive thought about selling my ranco etc-11100000 for cash to buy a new stc-1000 temp controller but .. if your looking for one its super simple to put together.

So the Ranco is yet to be wired? I've never wired one, but I'm sure I can handle it, what are you looking to get for it?

Its wired and good to go.. I built a dual stage stc controller for $35. Imho you should build you one of those its super simple... Or buy me components for the 2 stage and ill mail you my ranco lol!

I wouldn't mind building one, but everything I've seen always seems to be so bulky in a project box. This is going in my living room/dinning room so it has to look good and compact. At least with a Johnson or Ranco I can either stick it to the back of the unit or try and hide it underneath by the compressor.
If I could build it into the collar that would certainly be my favorite route, I do worry about bit about condensation though. I've been looking for some builds on how people did theirs but I haven't seen much talk on collar installs.

A single stage STC 1000 can be had on ebay for $13. If you search really hard you can even find one in Fahrenheit. (However for a keezer it's a conversion you will likely only do about once.) Most of them run 10 amps right out of the box. Someone else on here could tell you if that's enough to run the freezer you have. For simplicity and cost it can't be beat.

They are probably a little deep to fit in a 2x collar. You might want to box around it or use some other means to seal it up so it doesn't get condensation. I seem to recall someone on here mounting it in the edge of the lid. They are pretty low profile in the vertical direction.

Good luck with the build. Kegging is so worth it.

just build the stc and stick it in the compressor opening if you dont want to see it you will rarely touch it once its set for a keezer. if you get a black project box from radioshack and use a rectangle outlet rather than the two circle outlets the box it pretty clean looking. you could also spray the box whatever color your collar will be or the color of the freezer.

Just make sure if you get an STC-1000 that you get the 110 V variety and not the 220 V. I have bought 2 of them for about $20 each. I picked ones shipped from the US instead of China.

They are dual stage (heating AND cooling) and the cheapest thing you can find for the quality. I just put a Celsius to Farenheit chart right on my duplex outlet box I made similar to the link below

http://mostlyharmlessbrewing.com/2013/08/24/keezer-temp-controller-stc-1000/

Back