Temperature control for primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I am looking for suggestions for temperature control during my fermentations.

I was thinking of getting an old freezer from second hand shop, and maybe install an external thermostat like I have seen in some kegorators.

1. Are there better ideas?
2. Where can I get one of these thermostats on the web? What are they called? and what additional kit would I want to consider?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Marius

I'd recommend purchasing a newer scratch/dent upright freezer. The older freezers aren't very efficient ($$$).

There are a number of options for controlling the temperature - Ranco, Love, etc. I prefer the Love controllers because they can be mounted in the freezer door and provide a clean install look.

Here's an install thread.

DSC00377.jpg

Thanks,

I live in Norway, and we cannot get scratch/dent freezers here, but we have other types of upright freezers. Will any type of upright freezer do?

Thanks,
Marius

Any freezer will do. If you want to keep it simple, you can get a Johnson controller that connects in line to the freezer plug and then you drop the probe into the freezer. You set the Johnson to the temp you want and it will turn your freezer on and off to keep a steady temp. I just did this with a chest freezer in my basement, works great.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12193

Edit: I see you live in Norway, not sure of your wiring, but the concept is the same and you could buy a Johnson controller without the plugs and wire it up.

Will any type of upright freezer do?

So long as it meets your space requirements, pretty much any frost free upright freezer will do. Avoid the freezers with the evaporator coils running through the shelves. Some have had success bending the shelves, but it's risky.

I see you live in Norway, not sure of your wiring, but the concept is the same and you could buy a Johnson controller without the plugs and wire it up.

Thank you both for great help. In norway we have higher voltage: 240V. Is this of any relevance?

Thanks,

Marius

I'd recommend purchasing a newer scratch/dent upright freezer. The older freezers aren't very efficient ($$$).

There are a number of options for controlling the temperature - Ranco, Love, etc. I prefer the Love controllers because they can be mounted in the freezer door and provide a clean install look.

Here's an install thread.

DSC00377.jpg

fixed that for ya

Back