Temp readings - chilling and serving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laoz

Reaction score
I noticed during my last brew that my thermometer measures significant lower against the side then in the middle of my wort when in the ice bath (which is where it wants to sit when the lid is fully covering). Makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it and was therefore pitching at a low temp (was shooting for low 70s). 3 batches in and no issues tho. Question: is your most accurate reading in the middle of your pot while chilling? Also, to accurately measure keg serving temp should I be using a liquid thermometer and measuring a second pour? My air temp on the door is around 40. Thinking the beer is actually colder. Can't test now, 5 days out from racking a batch of Big Sky Pale Ale :(. Thx

I noticed during my last brew that my thermometer measures significant lower against the side then in the middle of my wort when in the ice bath (which is where it wants to sit when the lid is fully covering). Makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it and was therefore pitching at a low temp (was shooting for low 70s). 3 batches in and no issues tho. Question: is your most accurate reading in the middle of your pot while chilling? Also, to accurately measure keg serving temp should I be using a liquid thermometer and measuring a second pour? My air temp on the door is around 40. Thinking the beer is actually colder. Can't test now, 5 days out from racking a batch of Big Sky Pale Ale :(. Thx

For your first question, use a sanitized spoon to gently stir your wort while chilling. It will not only speed up your chill time, but also give you a more accurate temperature reading.

As for your second question...I don't keg (as of yet). I think most people use temp controlled kegorators and keezers which operate off of a temperature controller immersed in liquid inside the keggortator or kezzer. This way the compressor kicks on when the liquid is out of the appropriate range, insuring proper pour temp.

Thx for the reply. As a noob I'm surely overly concerned with contamination. Tried stirring while chilling a couple days ago, just used my stirring spoon figuring it had been well boiled. Went great. WAY quicker to pitch temp. Used less than 20lbs of ice as opposed to close to 40lbs (close ice machine is 1.75 per 20lbs so no biggie on price but nice). Thx

While its a little more than a bag of ice I use a DIY immersion wort chiller and it works great. I just swirl my chiller around in the wort every few minutes and can chill from boiling to yeast pitching temps in about 20mins. I want to say I spent about $35 in supplies and had a fun project to do!

E83CD4AB-0C97-49EB-9B81-8E46BBAAF164-1359-000001EF5C0F783D_zpsba8eef13.jpg

If you haven't already seen all the DIY threads and youtube videos on wort chillers you should check them out!

In a kegerator, submerge your temp probe in a container of water- otherwise you're measuring the air temp, not the beer temp, and will cycle your unit off / on too often, reducing its life.

Been think about getting a wart chiller. Passed for now due to the price but, yeah, looks like a great DIY project. Good call.

As for the probe, I haven't seen it in the unit. Should it be visible? I'll do some research. Checked a couple 2nd pours. Right around 42 right now. Good enough for me but if its an issue of longevity of the unit, I should figure it out.

Back