Temp controller handles 30 amps?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear419

Reaction score
I am an electrical novice and every control unit I've seen driving a heating element has has had an SSR with a substantial heat sink, but I found this little thing that says it has a "30 amp relay output(s) at up to 240 VAC"

http://www.controlproductsonline.com/9102-series-temperature-controllers-p-103-l-en.html

does that mean I can use it to control a 120v heating element or does it have to wire up to an additional SSR or something?

It seems to simple compared to what I've seen elsewhere on the boards so I must be missing something.

Cheers.

Looks like it's a RELAY not a SOLID STATE RELAY output. You'd eventually fry the poor thing by attempting to cycle a heating element as fast as we need to cycle them. JMO

I want to use to to control a cooler converted into a HLT. I'd have the differential set around maybe 2 to 5 degrees. Would that cycle it to fast?

I think you could do that. It just wouldn't be PID control like the Auberin with an SSR. Even if it cycles the relay a few times per minute I think it will handle that, though it might make the relay life a bit shorter, would have to see how many makes and breaks it is rated for in its lifetime.

Probably the best setup might be two heating elements, one sized to basically maintain the temp you want, so the relay is on most of the time for minimal cycling. The second would be used in addition to the first until you reach your setpoint temperature, to help it get there faster. (unless your liquid will already be hot when you put in in the cooler then wouldn't need the first element).

Back