Temp, can I get low enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I built a fermentation chamber(I believe the son of a son fermentation chamber). I know I can get down to lager fermentation temps, but what about lagering? 30 degrees below ambient asking too much? My garage fridge is busy with other silly household duties like food and my keezer is filled with kegs;)

Ambient drifts between 64 and 68 and I'm using ice in plastic shoeboxes.

My garage fridge is busy with other silly household duties like food...
There is your first problem, you have to get your priorities straight. Just kidding:D I had the same problem with my fermentation chamber. I found a free minifridge, ripped the guts out and put the freezer part in the chamber. I can get it down to 30 F in my 83 F front closet.

How will things turn out if I get to fermentation temp, complete primary and just lager at same temp? I'm thinking 48 to 45 degrees is doable. Maybe I'll experiment with a bucket of water

How will things turn out if I get to fermentation temp, complete primary and just lager at same temp? I'm thinking 48 to 45 degrees is doable. Maybe I'll experiment with a bucket of water

Well, in my opinion if it's at secondary at fermentation temperatures, it's not really lagered. Lagering really should be done colder. I lager at 34 degrees, and find that it really makes a smoother and crisper lager. The cold conditioning for 6-10 weeks really makes a big difference.

Could you bottle the beer, allow it to carb up, and then lager it in the bottles in a fridge? Maybe 50 bottles would take up less room than a carboy.

ah ha! My keezer holds three kegs. I can survive on two. I'll just lager in a corny and try to forget that it's there. Maybe I can fit one carboy on the fridge.

Back