TeensyNet Project Interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's the scoop so far. I soldered together a second teensynet, and a teensypi. I followed the trouble shooting steps above. Everything is going well until I put a temp sensor in the action board. Nothing found. I then un-jumpered and wired the action board into the teensypi (with 3v3 lines), it all works. I am at a loss. I have yet to get the LCD working. Any thoughts?

OK, here's the scoop so far. I soldered together a second teensynet, and a teensypi. I followed the trouble shooting steps above. Everything is going well until I put a temp sensor in the action board. Nothing found. I then un-jumpered and wired the action board into the teensypi (with 3v3 lines), it all works. I am at a loss. I have yet to get the LCD working. Any thoughts?

If you attach the action board to the mini-lan on the TeensyNet board without the DS18B20, are the DS2406 chips found using this program?

Yes, they finally showed up along with some of the sensors. Now another issue... the wiz820io is not working, therefore no teensynet.local webpage data. I am looking through the net trying to trouble shoot it. On the PJRC website, you stated that you made the board using D23 for the WIZ820io reset (this was before Paul and the gang started using D9), so you had to modify some of the ethernet library code to support that, as well as increasing the size of the UDP buffer to a more usable size.You said that you would fix that with your next ineration of the board. Is there a way to reset the wiz so it may work again? I am using the 5.2 teensynet board with two 512 eeproms.

In your teensyduino IDE directory, you need to find "libraries/Ethernet/utility/w5100.cpp" open that file with a text editor and look for the line:

Code:
#define W5200_RESET_PIN 9

and change it to:

Code:
#define W5200_RESET_PIN 23

and save the file.

Then open "libraries\Ethernet\EthernetUdp.h", and find:

Code:
#define UDP_TX_PACKET_MAX_SIZE

and change the current value (I think it was 32) to a larger value (I use 2048):

Code:
#define UDP_TX_PACKET_MAX_SIZE 2048

save, and re-compile your code.

If you are using Windows, the slashes would be reversed.

It's been a while since I last posted, so here's an update:

I think I've devised a fairly simple way to break out all the available pins of the Teensy3.1, so my next TeensyNet board with be Teensy3.1 only.

I've been playing with this 7" GLCD board, and have developed a Teensy3.1 board that controls the GLCD and can be used as an I2C or 1-wire device. Right now the software is in beta, and only supports character displays in one font in landscape mode.

I've made some changes to the code, it's all available at my github site.

Let me know if this is of any interest to anyone...

Hey I'll take one of the systems to monitor my 4 conical glycol cooled beer fermenters....sounds awesome....who do I make the check out too ;)

Here's a quick shot of two TeenyNetGLCD boards running as 1-wire slaves under TeensyNet control (pardon the mess :eek: ). I have 4 thermos and 22 switches running, and am monitoring and displaying 8 actions. The TeensyNetGLCDs each update about once every 3-4 seconds (there's a LOT of data required to update the screen, and it's all done essentially serially).

I'm using a 2nd Generation Board that has 8 pages that allow me to update the page in the background and then display the finished page. This stops the annoying flicker the other board had.

I'm still finalizing the code, but it looks doable.

TeensyGLCD.png

Hello Again:

You noted earlier in the thread that you were working on some guidance for converting TeensyPi to TeensyNet. Is that still on your roadmap? I have the Teensypi running as a fermentation fridge controller and am in the final stages of using it as a brew controller (control box is done; just working on the eKettle). It's not entirely clear to me whether it makes sense to convert other than the ability to use a single RPi to serve both applications but I don't want to get left behind from a software update perspective. I may use the TeensyNet for the smoker I haven't started yet... Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks!...Jon

Hello Again:

You noted earlier in the thread that you were working on some guidance for converting TeensyPi to TeensyNet. Is that still on your roadmap? I have the Teensypi running as a fermentation fridge controller and am in the final stages of using it as a brew controller (control box is done; just working on the eKettle). It's not entirely clear to me whether it makes sense to convert other than the ability to use a single RPi to serve both applications but I don't want to get left behind from a software update perspective. I may use the TeensyNet for the smoker I haven't started yet... Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks!...Jon

Honestly, I haven't given the TeensyPi to TeensyNet upgrade a lot of thought, for a couple of reasons:
  1. The upgrade from Pi to Net would require a few add-on boards to include the Ethernet and I2CEEPROM
  2. My new boards (currently Rev 14) take full advantage of the Teensy3.1 board, utilizing the extra I2C channel,etc.
  3. My latest software version (not yet posted) is getting very large, and may soon outrun the Teensy3.0's available Flash and RAM.

I'd say that if the TeensyPi is working for you now, keep it that way. For New Projects, consider the new board.

PM me if you get a chance ;)

I have Teensynet 14.0 boards on the way... I am going to give it one more shot. At least the teensypi works, if the need arises. In my researching around, how many amps are needed to light up the wiz820io leds on the teensynet boards? I have 2 amps right now, and lack of amps may be the issue from what I am reading. What is your take?

I have Teensynet 14.0 boards on the way... I am going to give it one more shot. At least the teensypi works, if the need arises. In my researching around, how many amps are needed to light up the wiz820io leds on the teensynet boards? I have 2 amps right now, and lack of amps may be the issue from what I am reading. What is your take?

I've found that a stable 5v source is a must. If the power supply tends to spike or sag, it can cause problems. I use a 5V/20A supply for all of my testing, but I often have two or more TeensyNets and numerous Action Boards, TeensyGLCDs, etc, running simultaneously.

The WIZ820io is connected to the TeensyNet's on-board 3V3 regulator, and during initialization and transmission can consume up to 300ma peak. 5V/2A is probably the minimum requirement. I normally use a 5V/5A supply for my finished projects.

Here's a quick shot of two TeenyNetGLCD boards running as 1-wire slaves under TeensyNet control (pardon the mess :eek: ). I have 4 thermos and 22 switches running, and am monitoring and displaying 8 actions. The TeensyNetGLCDs each update about once every 3-4 seconds (there's a LOT of data required to update the screen, and it's all done essentially serially).

I'm using a 2nd Generation Board that has 8 pages that allow me to update the page in the background and then display the finished page. This stops the annoying flicker the other board had.

I'm still finalizing the code, but it looks doable.

Code is posted at my github.

trying to piece together an order for the parts to build this. The 2 position 2.5mm terminal blocks you have linked in the parts breakdown seems to be discontinued. will these terminal blocks work?

trying to piece together an order for the parts to build this. The 2 position 2.5mm terminal blocks you have linked in the parts breakdown seems to be discontinued. will these terminal blocks work?

Whoops, my bad :(

It's actually a 3.5mm part, and Digikey has 38,000+ in stock.

I've corrected the parts list, thanks for the heads up. :rockin:

Your google doc breaking down the parts and the post I quoted. I click on either one and it gives me a 404 error.

Odd, the links work just fine for me with the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox for Linux. I don't have any Windows machines, so I can't check with IE.

An older version of Chrome does show the 404 error. I'll try to add a different link to the part.

Mouser has a similar, albeit more expensive, part.

Its weird because every other link on that doc works for me including the other digikey link.

I've read the whole post today and a lot of the TeensyNet web site and am a bit confused about how many of the cards are needed to make this a workable project.....I do understand that certain of the cards answer special needs but I don't understand outside the network card what else is essential.....want to make this project to control some fermenters but don't understand what I need to accomplish this....any and all comments most welcome.

I've read the whole post today and a lot of the TeensyNet web site and am a bit confused about how many of the cards are needed to make this a workable project.....I do understand that certain of the cards answer special needs but I don't understand outside the network card what else is essential.....want to make this project to control some fermenters but don't understand what I need to accomplish this....any and all comments most welcome.

Assuming that you have a Raspberry Pi or other system with the database and Apache software:

If you want to monitor temperatures, all you need is a TeensyNet board, and some DS18b20 cables, or one or more of the thermocouple boards for a greater temperature range.

If you want to control temperatures, adding an action board to the above allows you to connect two SSR's to control the AC to your fermentation chamber, keezer, etc.

If you want a local display, one in addition to the web display, then use one of the display options.

Just a heads up to anyone putting together a TeensyNet board:

Don't cheap out on the BS170 part. I ordered a bunch of "Value Priced" BS170's from a fairly well-known (at least in the hobbyist community) supplier that were about 1/2 the price of the part from Mouser, Digikey, etc.

They've been driving me crazy. :drunk:

I've had about a 25% failure rate on these parts, and since they are used to allow 3v3 and 5v parts to work alongside each other, I've had all sorts of weird problems.

I finally re-ordered genuine Fairchild parts from Digikey, replaced the "Value Priced" parts and all of the problems have vanished.

I've changed the parts list to reflect this.

Forewarned is forearmed.

trying to follow your walkthrough to get the board set up but I cant seem to find the sketchbooklibaries.zip file on your gethub.

ok next question I am getting this error

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 + Td: 1.20 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Teensy 3.1"
TeensyNet.ino:68:29: fatal error: EthernetBonjour.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I did a search in all the library folders and cant find that file.

ok next question I am getting this error

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 + Td: 1.20 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Teensy 3.1"
TeensyNet.ino:68:29: fatal error: EthernetBonjour.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I did a search in all the library folders and cant find that file.

Sorry about that, I was under the impression that the EthernetBonjour library was added to Teensyduino V1.20. This apparently was not the case. I've added it to the "TeensyNetLibraries.zip" file on my github site

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know if there are any more problems.

Thanks Jim for the clarification.....does the software ventured into the arena of allowing the control of fermentation by ramping the temps over a time frame to control the duration of the fermentation schedule? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Jim for the clarification.....does the software ventured into the arena of allowing the control of fermentation by ramping the temps over a time frame to control the duration of the fermentation schedule? Hope that makes sense.

I have not done anything like that on the TeensyNet-board side of the software, but it can be added with the Teensy3.1. You could also implement it on the webserver side of things pretty easily.

Based on a conversation with Chrisl77, it appears that my Raspberry Pi Images for the TeensyNet may not work with the new Raspberry Pi Model B+. :(

I have a model B+ on order, and will provide updated images for both models in the near future.

OK, but you mean if one can program and the only language I remember is 360 assembly! If that doesn't show my age nothing does!

lol! The System/360 series was merely a promise when I was cramming stacks of cards into 1401s while still in college. When I got out I actually helped design the core memory subsystems for a whole bunch of System/360 family members (-20,30,40,65,67,etc) and then the first semiconductor based memories for the System/370 family.

Yup. Wicked old...

Cheers! ;)

lol! The System/360 series was merely a promise when I was cramming stacks of cards into 1401s while still in college. When I got out I actually helped design the core memory subsystems for a whole bunch of System/360 family members (-20,30,40,65,67,etc) and then the first semiconductor based memories for the System/370 family.

Yup. Wicked old...

Cheers! ;)

I worked for a company that designed a system that was an IBM System 370/138-compatible replacement. I designed a cluster controller for it using (at the time) the latest 74HS parts and the AM2900 bit slice family.

Memories...

I worked for a company that designed a system that was an IBM System 370/138-compatible replacement. I designed a cluster controller for it using (at the time) the latest 74HS parts and the AM2900 bit slice family.

Memories...

Was that Steve Ippolito's company - IPL?
Or Magnuson, maybe?
Not sure that Cambex ever got their 148 clone to market.
Then there was Amdahl, and later Trilogy...

I knew all those guys and worked with a few of them over the years.
I actually owe my career to Joe Kruy of Cambex (nee Cambridge Memories)...

Cheers!

Back