Technical Brewing Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWagner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

While diagnosing an astringency problem I had with my last two batches, I sort of went down this beer chemistry rabbit hole.

I have the usual Home Brewing books on my shelf:
- “How to Brew” by John Palmer
- “Designing Great Beers” by Ray Daniels
- “Radical Brewing” by Randy Mosher
- “Brew Chem 101” by Lee Janson

But I’ve noted that most of them tend to reference a relatively small number of technical journals and textbooks.
- “Textbook of Brewing” by Jean De Clerk
- “Brewing” by Tom Young
- “Handbook of Brewing” by Priest and Stewart

I also love old books, so I picked-up “The Practical Brewer” by MBAA, which has been a fascinating read.

I’m curious what books folks have on their shelves that are, sort of, the next step above what is required reading for the average home brewer.

Thanks,
Kevin

IMG_0617.jpg

Practical Brewer is a great read.

A few off the top of my head you may be interested in:

4th edition Technology Brewing and Malting By Wolfgang Kunze
Standards of Brewing By Dr. Charles Bamforth - this is a good read, but more geared towards packaging and processing in the brewery...not too much science.
Microbiological Methods (not sure of the author)

If you email me at [email protected] I can send you a 110 page pdf of articles that you'd probably love. It's a collection of IBD articles that are very in depth.

weirdboy said:
Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix should be in that list somewhere.

Picked up and read this over the weekend. Excellent reading. I took 200 level chem back in college, so had to read and re-read paragraphs here and there, before I could grasp some concepts.

I think, though, even if you where to remove all the figures, the text is strong enough to add greatly to ones brewing knowledge.

There's some stuff in there on chill hazing and head retention I may try to put into practice.

I bought White and Zainasheff's "Yeast" in the same order -- some more light reading.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back