Tea infused strike water??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
has anyone ever done a tea infusion with their strike water before mashing in?? im dying to try this but want more info!

i would think to really get much tea flavor it would be best infused at flameout or secondary.

I've been toying with the idea of adding tea to a beer (something like an Irish Red or a Scottish Ale). I was thinking of adding it at flameout or possibly dry-teaing it. I never considered adding it to the mash or strike water. I suppose that could work. I wonder the boil would affect things though.

My thought is that you would boil off all the nice aroma as like with hops and maybe just be left with the tannin. Definitely agree that the end of the boil might work better. Everything's always worth a shot though.

my wife says it's a sin to boil tea- teawater is okay, but not tea. i think it makes it very astringent.

spearko520 said:
my wife says it's a sin to boil tea- teawater is okay, but not tea. i think it makes it very astringent.

You definitely don't want to boil the tea leaves - that will extract a lot of tannins, which is what makes it astringent. I think it should be fine to boil brewed tea though (is this what you meant by 'teawater'?)

Even though adding some tea leaves to the mash or strike water is intriguing, I think the comment about all the aroma and flavor boiling off is accurate and adding at flameout is probably the way to go.

Stauffbier said:
I'd cold brew it just like coffee and add it at bottling/kegging..

Id do this but im using red tea( mostly for color) and itll take quite alot to acheive the color i want. I think adding thi late would water the brew down too much

Kind of along the same lines..the latest episode of BrewingTV from Northern Brewer featured a guy brewing an Imperial IPA. He hopped his sparge water which I never thought of, or heard of.

Back