Tea Flavors for Mead and First-timer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyB612

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with some small batches for the last couple months. When I say small, I mean small, with the average batch being 500ml. These were mostly proof-of-concept batches where I could experiment with ratios and techniques without needing to spend much. Once I felt happy with the outcomes, I started on some gallon batches.

I have a lot of tea at home, more tea than I could drink by myself. I figured I could use the tea to flavor the mead. My last batch I brewed up a very strong Youthberry tea (the kind Starbucks sells) and added that to the honey. I can give specifics like the ratios and procedure if needed as well as provide photos of the finished product. IMO I think it came out pretty good. Sweet, and a little fruity, with an orange-ish color.

Now that there's some background, I have a few questions. Firstly, set-up materials. Does anyone have any recommendations of materials for someone focusing on gallon batches? If it can be found on amazon that'd be preferable. I already have some airlocks, some bottles, and campden tablets.

Secondly, what are your suggestions for tea-flavored meads? Should I brew the tea and add that to the honey before fermentation? Or should I add the tea in secondary? Any particular flavors I should try to use? I'm pretty open to any suggestions and advice, as I'm still new to the whole thing.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

I use tea quite a bit. My process is to use 1/4 cup of tea per 1 liter French press and allow it to brew until cool. This will make a very strong tea and will also extract a lot of tannins which add body to the mead. I then add the strained tea to a gallon carboy and mix the honey, nutrient and yeast. Example process here: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Mental-bomm/

I can't comment on teas, as I've never done that. Others will chime in on that subject.

But for equipment, being a one gallon guy too I have some recommendations.

• You absolutely need a hydrometer and a test vial.
  • A turkey baster is handy for taking samples.
  • One gallon and half gallon jugs. Can't have too many of both. Can be ordered online, or better still visit your local homebrew store.
  • Assorted bungs, with and without holes
  • An auto siphon and tubing. Be aware that there are 2 sizes, you need the small one for one gallon carboys.
  • Star-San and One-Step (sanitizer and cleaner) or equivalent
  • You'll need potassium sorbate along with the Campden for stabilizing
  • A bottling wand, corks and a corker.
I have one of these and I love it:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/carboys-jugs/products/little-big-mouth-bubbler

It lets me start with a bit more than a gallon so when racking off the lees I can fill a gallon jug.

Some local grocery stores give you a free 1gal glass carboy with the purchase of 1 gal of apple juice. Amazon and most brew shops sell them for about $8-10 empty.
128oz-AppleJuiceBottle-Pistol.jpg

I made a mead with 3-3/4 cups of strongly brewed chinese tea (a really tasty black tea from Laoshan, from Verdant Tea co.) in a one gallon batch. I can't say it lent much to the flavor that I can pick out distinctly, but it didn't hurt anything either. I think I'll go stronger next time.

Thanks amigos!

Im currently working on a batch of chai spice, and trying a rooiboos caramel tea next. Ive used the rooiboos before in one of my mini test batches and I liked the way it turned out.

Should I try and post my recipes? Is anyone interested in that?

Thanks amigos!

Im currently working on a batch of chai spice, and trying a rooiboos caramel tea next. Ive used the rooiboos before in one of my mini test batches and I liked the way it turned out.

Should I try and post my recipes? Is anyone interested in that?

Definitely post. You can get all sorts of information from long timers like me. For instance, add vanilla to secondary for the roobios batch. It will need it!

I use tea quite a bit. My process is to use 1/4 cup of tea per 1 liter French press and allow it to brew until cool. This will make a very strong tea and will also extract a lot of tannins which add body to the mead. I then add the strained tea to a gallon carboy and mix the honey, nutrient and yeast. Example process here: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Mental-bomm/

What if I dont have a French Press? Can I just brew it on the stove? What kind of teas have you used?

To answer all your questions:
1. 1 whole vanilla bean per gallon after primary fermentation is complete. Actively fermenting yeast can eat vanillin. Vanilla adds a fullness of flavor in the mid palette that complements roobios very well.

2. If you don’t have a French press, you can heat water to off boil, add tea and steep until cool. Strain through a strainer into your carboy after. And get a French press for next time. Makes everything stupid easy.

3. What teas? Too many to count for different outcomes. Assam is great for adding body with very little flavor. Flavored teas can be good if paired with the right honey and mead sweetness level. It depends on the tea. I even have a 3 Day Mead here with Honeybush Vanilla tea: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/vanilla-honeybush/

Back