tasting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Don't giggle, this is a serious queston.

This weekend I picked up a 12 pack of a belgan witbeer and tried the first 2 on an empty pallet. Had a nice crisp taste with a cirtrus finish.

Then, this evening I had one from the same pack after a dinner of meatloaf. Tasted completely different, and to tell the truth If that had been my first try I probably would have had a completely different impression. Not pleasant.

Now the question:

What is the proper way to taste a beer. Should eat something first, eat nothing, etc. Not trying to be the snobbish wine conniseur that sticks their pinky out, just want to give each brew (including my own once i make one) a fair chance. Only asking because my impressions were completely different.

Many breweries do their quality control tastes just before lunch time. Supposedly your senses are at their peak then. But I suppose that just before dinner would be the same.

IMO it's like tasting wine. If you're super serious about it, water and mild crackers will clear your palate. Also whether or not you're hungry is important too

The time of year I try something sometimes has some effect. I've tried some heavier, darker beers that I didn't appreciate at the time, only to try it again in the winter and have my world turned upside down. I guess it also depends what exactly you're eating as some styles may complement it better.

Latest posts

Back