Tasted Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest buying a bottle or two of a good IPA and choke it down. You will be well on your way to becoming a Hophead! ( and will be able to enjoy many more styles because of it).

I'd recommend Stone IPA as a starter for anyone that wants to learn how to enjoy hoppy beers! I can't believe how well-balanced that beer is! Yum yum!

On that same vein, I'd recommend Stone Pale to the OP to try for the next six-pack. Definitely more balanced than SNPA.

And a bit off-topic, I am shocked at the amount of SNPA dislikers out there. It has been a mainstay of my beer-loving career. A dependable friend, always available in line with the BMC's at locales with less than great selections. Since moving to Portland this is no longer an issue, but when I lived in CA 10 or so years ago I would routinely go for SNPA as a regular. Certainly not one of the best beers out there, but I am surprised to see the number of people that flat out do not like this beer.

To each their own for sure, but I never would have thunk that SNPA could garner such dislike...

I think in the game of semantics some terminology gets confused.

Yes, hops are used to add bitterness, but they also add flavor.

In my opinion comparing SNPA to an IPAs is not fair, because IPAs usually incorporate a lot of hop flavor. To me SNPA is more about the bitterness than the flavor.

So liking or not liking SNPA (or any beer) is not about not liking hops, its about not liking the flavor profile.

I like hops. I do not like SNPA.

I like high IBU beers (when the flavor profile is pleasing to me). I do not like SNPA.

Now, I know no one cares what beers I like, but I just wanted to point out the subtleties of beer flavor.

I like hoppy beer! However, I have found that in the world of Pale Ale, not all are created equally. I like SNPA, I don't like Bridgeport and I don't like Bass (this was a surprise to me). I have found so far my favorite Pale Ale is O'dell's 5 barrell... yummie stuff!

Bill, you have to give it a chance. Drink 3 or 4 if that's what it takes. What I love about SNPA is the freshness of the hops. There really is a lot of subtlety there if you give it a chance.

You are a rat!
All kidding aside... it looked like it tasted really good... you did a good job of pouring it into the glass/mug. After a few more drinks of different ales, like amber and brown ales, I may revisit Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but I don't know it it will ever be one of my favorites.
I figure about a year from now it will probably be one of the ales I would kill for, but I don't know.
Thanks for sharing the video.
Bill

You're right, I shouldn't be bothered. It's your right to drink beer that you don't like.

If after 4 bottles, I clearly didn't like the beer, yeah, I'd toss the rest. If the taste had an appeal, but was a bit over the top for me, I'd put that one on the side and try some other samples of the style.

Where did this even come from. Of course you should try things. That doesn't mean you have to like them. And if you don't like it now, it doesn't mean you won't like it if you try it again a year from now. You owe it to yourself to always continue to try things old and new.

Quite frankly, you sound like a 10 year old trying to get through his first pack of cigarettes. :D Drinking beer shouldn't be about tolerating. It should be about enjoying. May be you chose your words wrong, but this was the wording that I was responding to.

Clearly, you missed the point of my last post. Choking down a six pack isn't the way to aquire a taste for a beer. Try one of these. Try one of those. If it's a taste that you have the potential of liking, it will grow on you over time. My point was simply that you don't have to force it.

Someday I hope we can share a Stone Double Bastard!
:mug:

Don't you go anywhere... I figure we'll have some really good dialogue in the future... you old goat.
By the way... what is a "Stone Double Bastard?"

even tho the archaic alcohol cap law is history now, there still really isn't craft brew in wv. Its starting to trickle in but its coming slowwwwwww. I say this because I'm guessing Bill is out in the 'hollers where the pickens are even slimmer. Kudos bill for trying something new and telling us what your newly developing beer senses are telling you. Personally, i LOVE SNPA, i love cascades....waiting on a call from the distributor sometime this week to come and pick up the keg i ordered...yummy.
Maybe you're not a hop guy bill...perhaps you'd prefer a more malty fare?

I also, used to hate the bittering nature of hops. This was before I started brewing. I couldn't choke down an IPA if I wanted to. I think the turning point for me was when I was making my first beer, I got to hold the hops, and smell them. Then when I added them to the boil, the beautiful aroma of hops and malt filled the room and surrounded me with warmth and love.

I don't know if it was a spiritual experience, or what. But since that day, I crave hoppier and hoppier beers, as well as maltier and maltier beers. I'll jump from a malty, sweet Marzen, to the hoppy goodness of an IPA, then finish it all off with an RIS or IIPA. I think getting your hands in the wort (NOT LITERALLY) is really what opened up my tastes.

IMO, Sierra Nevada beers have a harsh lingering bitterness which I suspect is a water issue. I enjoy tongue-splitting IPAs from time to time, though my own tastes tend toward the maltier side of things.

I think the lingering bitterness is a combination of the bittering hops (magnum are pretty high alpha) and also very high carbonation. They have sierra nevada on tap at some of the local pubs around here and it's not the same beer at all. It's a lot less carbonated and the bitterness is less harsh and more floral so the cascade really shines with SNPA on tap. So I recommend that when you drink bottled SNPA, pour in a large pint glass and try too pour aggressivly. You'll liberate more CO2 from being dissolved in the beer, and you'll get a nice fluffy head with oh so divine cascade aroma. You'll see it's a completely different beer when enjoyed this way.

Latest posts

Back