taste after primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aja1983

Reaction score
I've made 3 ciders with alc. % of 9, 12, and 15. I guess there more like Apple wine. After a week in secondary they pretty much are un drinkable.
They taste like fule and very boozy.
It's kind of hard to describe the taste. Does anyone have some words to describe a young cider or Apple wine. Just trying to figure out if this is normal. Thanks

Well, I have no experience with cider and have only done two wine kits before but I'd say wait. Probably about a year.
Both of my wine kits are still in their bulk aging phase and have been for about six months now. They are significantly better now then at one month even though these kits were supposed to be "drinkable" by one month. I'm starting to think I'm getting close to bottling time but honestly the longer the better for stuff like this.

I accidentally put a LOT more sugar in my first batches of cider then I intended (I put about two cups into half a gallon. I forgot the recipe and thought I was using gallon containers) and was really bummed due to the taste around 2 weeks when I racked them into their secondary. Mine tasted very sour and hot. Like I mixed cheap vodka with apple juice and lime. It was amazing how good they were after sitting in the secondary for two more weeks, back-sweetening a bit and cold crashing. The sour taste turned into tartness, alcohol mellowed out significantly, only off tastes left were from a bit too much cinnamon in one, and a bit of bitterness in one I used molasses in.

I am expecting the ones I bottled for 6 months and 1 yr from now will only get better as well :)

Back