TART Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
All,

Made a hard cider using 5 gallons of apple cider, plus 2 cans of concentrate. Started with regular yeast, which didn't really go for long, then added champagne yeast as a secondary yeast, which I then let ferment for over three months, one month in primary, 2+ in secondary.

I went to bottle it this past weekend (half honey, half corn sugar), and found it to be very tart. Not...unpleasant, necessarily (i.e., not foul), and drinkable, but very very tart. I went ahead and bottled, but thought I would ask about advice for this one in terms of bottle conditioning (will it even out?) and for the future.

--Jonathan

I cant answer your question but i'm curious as to why you did such a long primary and secondary? I'm about to keg my cider soon and i only did a 2 week fermentation...

I cant answer your question but i'm curious as to why you did such a long primary and secondary? I'm about to keg my cider soon and i only did a 2 week fermentation...

ours end up staying in our carboy for like 9 months. But thats just because we are learning from a wise old cider sage we met in our area who creates the best cider we have tasted

I was told that other people typically leave theirs for 3 months before its ready. *shruggs* I'm only making my first batch now but my uncle and dad have already done 3 6 gallon carboys and have another 3 halfway made

Im making three as well

Cider is generally very tart once the sugars are fermented out. The "apple" flavor will improve with some aging. Some people like to sweeten their ciders as a result, although I like mine tart. You could sweeten it at the time of drinking if you wish, and that way some people who like it sweeter than others can add more sugar.

If you use an ale yeast, and keep the OG low (no added sugars to boost the ABV), often it will finish quite a bit sweeter than with a wine or champagne yeast.

Mine generally take far longer than 2 weeks to fully clear.

My FG is @ 1.014. i know i could let it go longer and get a lower FG but im filtering to get rid of the yeast and back sweetening. i just got done doing that. now im waiting for my blonde ale to finish filtering. This is my first time filtering any thing. Only gonna use it for ciders and beers in kegs that im going to transport.

Back