Taprite 740 Regulator Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy13586

Reaction score
I have an older Taprite Series 740 Primary Regulator that has been constantly leaking out of the weep hole. I haven't been able to find any other leaks, just a constant stream of gas coming out of the weep hole.

I've been trying to take it apart to clean to see if that will work, but it is so old that the bonnet is stuck on there and won't budge.

Any ideas on how to take this thing apart without damaging it? Would soaking it in something help to loosen up the years of grossness that might be sitting inside so I can take it apart to give it a proper cleaning?

Thanks!

I found a rebuild kit for my older Tap-Rite regulator that fixed it's leak through the weep hole.
I think it was this one:

http://rapidswholesale.com/tap-rite-repair-kit-for-regulators.html

It definitely was cheaper than a new regulator.

You could try soaking your regulator in boiling hot water to loosen it up for disassembly.
You really need a padded vice and the right wrench to hold it without marring up the surfaces.

I just had to repair mine.

I think I have the the newer one.

First you gotta remove the plastic bonnet.

First turn the pressure adjustment valve anti-clockwise as far as it goes.

This will take the spring of the gasket and make it easier to remove the bonnet, then using a wide shifting wrench unscrew the plastic bonnet.

Once you've done that you can see the inner workings of your regulator.

taprite.jpg

Back