Tap not flowing right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR34TM3NT

Reaction score
Last night I added a keg to the second tap on my new kegerator.
For some reasons it's not pouring smooth. Instead it seems to be gurgling out, much like the flow of a milk jug turned completely upside down.

There doesn't seem to be any leaks that I can see. I have the same exact setup on Tap 1 and it's pouring fine.

What could be the issue here?

Are you using independent regulators for each or splitting the gas line and using one regulator?

Sorry for just a question with no solution but my fat finger hit the send button. With 2 regulators and this issue there may be a problem with 1 of them. If possible try swapping kegs. The good keg to the bad spigot and the bad keg to the good spigot. This may narrow down the problem. Also, I believe you said that this was a NEW kegerator, there may have been some packing that you missed that is causing restrictions. Also insure that there are no kinks in the liquid lines. If there are clear liquid lines see if there are bubbles in the suspect line. This could be CO2 coming out of solution or a small leak at a connection that is allowing air in but not necessarily liquid out. Hope any of this helps.

just swapped everything around and it's definitely isolated to that specific keg...

Regardless of what beer line I hook that keg up to, beer is flowing with gaps of air in the line.

I sprayed everything down with starsan and i don't see any leaks on the outside of the tubes or keg.

Could it be some hop debris clogging the dip tube of that keg? You can depressurize and pull the dip tube to check.

On the bright side, it's not your system and limited to only one keg. Is it a "Corney" or store bought? If its store bought, return it and explain the problem. They should do the right thing and swap it out. If it's a Corney, start breaking it down. There are a short list of parts in the system. I would guess the problem is on the liquid out side but if you break it down check both. Posts(2), popets(2), dip tubes(2), O-rings(2/post-1 outside and 1 on the dip tube.

it's a corny keg...
took everything apart and it turned out that the o-ring on the output dip tube was not creating a seal. Luckily I had a thicker o-ring on hand.

Seems to be flowing fine now! Just wish I didn't have to lose so much beer in the process, haha.

Thanks guys!

I would check the poppets for debris. It's most likely a liquid side, but check both. You could even swap the liquid and gas poppets just to be sure.

I would check the poppets for debris. It's most likely a liquid side, but check both. You could even swap the liquid and gas poppets just to be sure.

He solved it already. Bad o-ring on the Out dip tube causing CO2 to take a short-cut to the beer line. Classic symptom, classic cause...

Cheers!

He solved it already. Bad o-ring on the Out dip tube causing CO2 to take a short-cut to the beer line. Classic symptom, classic cause...

Cheers!
I know this is an old thread but I was searching for answers to my problem....
I have three ball lock corney kegs hooked up to a 4 way manifold, I burst carbed all three different beers at 35psi for 24 hrs then set the regulator to 12 psi. One of the kegs makes an abundance of foam. My tap lines are 9 ft long and I use pic nip taps. On the problem keg I can see the foam start as soon as I open the tap and new beer comes out of the keg. I though debris might be causing this and I removed both poppits and they were clean then I though the liquid tube might have debris on the end so I blew that out w/Co2. But the problem still persists, this keg doesn't have the locating ears on the liquid tube to index the end of the tube and I always have trouble trying to keep the open end in the center well so I though maybe the end is somewhat obstructed at the bottom when it rotates and jambs on the bottom. The o-ring issue related above has me intrigued even though I inspected them when looking for the debris and they looked fine.
Any ideas?

The o-ring issue related above has me intrigued even though I inspected them when looking for the debris and they looked fine.
Any ideas?
Replace and KegLube the o-ring - cheap and easy to remove all doubt that it's possibly the problem.

images

Agreed. Eliminate the most likely cause and see what happens.
Note that it doesn't take much of a nick in that O-ring to cause havoc - if the nick is in the right place.

If replacing it doesn't solve the problem, let us know what happens if you swap beer lines between a "good" keg and the cranky one. If the problem stays with cranky it's a keg problem; otoh, if the "good" keg now has a problem, the problem is somewhere between the disconnect and the faucet on that line. Debris caught up in the disconnect can cause weird pouring problems...

Cheers!

Agreed. Eliminate the most likely cause and see what happens.
Note that it doesn't take much of a nick in that O-ring to cause havoc - if the nick is in the right place.

If replacing it doesn't solve the problem, let us know what happens if you swap beer lines between a "good" keg and the cranky one. If the problem stays with cranky it's a keg problem; otoh, if the "good" keg now has a problem, the problem is somewhere between the disconnect and the faucet on that line. Debris caught up in the disconnect can cause weird pouring problems...

Cheers!
Well I ordered an Oring set for the corney keg and removed /replaced the liquid tube oring. The old one looked fine, used lube on it and reinstalled and low and behold I had the Same Problem! I swapped tap lines with another keg and still have the problem w/ original keg and diff. tap. I can see the foam enter the line as soon as beer starts moving so the problem would seem to be at the post. Don't know what else it could be though. I have used this keg several times and not had an issue.:(

I've read of pinholed dip tubes exactly twice here on HBT in eight-something years.
So, it's exceedingly rare, but it does happen, and worth eliminating (as you're running out of causes)...

Cheers!

I think I've seen the symptom posted often but many might not find the cause. It happens because its very thinwall tubing that gets seam welded and lives in acidic liquid its whole life.

Massive bubbling right out of the liquid post can only have two causes, co2 injecting into a pinhole in the diptube or co2 injecting by bypassing the diptube oring. The latter is more common.
I've read of pinholed dip tubes exactly twice here on HBT in eight-something years.
So, it's exceedingly rare, but it does happen, and worth eliminating (as you're running out of causes)...

Cheers!

Can't find an answer to this anywhere!
Liquid dip tubes for corny kegs can come with or without ears for orientation. Are the fittings on the keg specific to each type tube or will either one fit, meaning all fittings have the ear detents?
Have a good Labor Day!

I have a few kegs with straight liquid dip tubes and the liquid risers don't have the ovals to accommodate "ears" as it's unnecessary for those.

But, I could not say with 100% confidence that all of my kegs with the bent style do have the ovaled risers and eared tubes, though for sure many of them do. And I know I have a keg with the ovaled riser but a dip tube sans ears, which I'm betting is a replacement which will fit either style riser.

I'd say check the keg and buy what'll fit - or just go with the ear-less style...

Cheers!

I have a few kegs with straight liquid dip tubes and the liquid risers don't have the ovals to accommodate "ears" as it's unnecessary for those.

But, I could not say with 100% confidence that all of my kegs with the bent style do have the ovaled risers and eared tubes, though for sure many of them do. And I know I have a keg with the ovaled riser but a dip tube sans ears, which I'm betting is a replacement which will fit either style riser.

I'd say check the keg and buy what'll fit - or just go with the ear-less style...

Cheers!
Thanks, I can see why the straight tubes would not have the features to orient the end as it resides in the same location regardless of the rotation. I am surprised there is not information easily found through the internet search engines that would answer this. All my kegs are full and I don't like opening them up with beer in them. I have another winged tube but hoped to determine if it would fit before opening the keg to try it.

I have never been able to find the eared tubes as a replacement item. Curious if anyone has.

I'm actually finding ones without the ears not available
Well, I guess that's the worse problem. Earless ones are at least universal, if not self aligning.

Try Chi Company, I believe tubes I've ordered from them are earless. They also have good customer service so you can ask. LHBS only has them too, don't know offhand where they get them.

Well, I guess that's the worse problem. Earless ones are at least universal, if not self aligning.

Try Chi Company, I believe tubes I've ordered from them are earless. They also have good customer service so you can ask. LHBS only has them too, don't know offhand where they get them.
Chi Company has them, funny they never pulled up on all the web searches I have done.
Thanks

Back