Tap caps or plugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainsax

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used both the rubber tap caps and the brush plugs, and if one is better than the other? Thoughts? Opinions?

I use both. I think they're equally good. I think the caps are easier, and I go to those more. But the brush ones are nice to. I think I got a little more worried about keeping the brushes clean. But, recently I used one to scrub the inside of a small opening. Can't remember what it was, but I remembered how useful it was. My vote is to try them both and see which you like.

The reason I even got the caps was because I had kegerator in my garage, and some spiders liked to hang out in the taps. Frequently found them doing laps in my beer.

Personally I prefer the caps. If something funky is going to grow it will do so in the cap and not on the brush shoved in the end of the faucet.

Funny, I prefer the brushes. I just lost one and was debating the caps. I spray the brush with starsan and re-insert. I don't like that there is a hiding place in the caps I can't see.

I use #5 caplugs. They buy them by the ten thousand where I work so a hand full a year don't get missed. Fit perfect.

I use #5 caplugs. They buy them by the ten thousand where I work so a hand full a year don't get missed. Fit perfect.

I don't know why I never thought of that...I have a bag of foam earplugs in my nightstand for when the mister just won't shut up snoring. I will try them!

I use the rubber caps. The brushes don't fit all the way inside my Perlick faucets so I just use the caps.

John

Ended up going with the rubber caps. One bonus that I didn't think about is that they fit on the stout faucets, where the brushes will not fit in.

I prefer the caps. I used the brushes first but they got really nasty even though I was using Starsan sprayed in the faucets. The caps work well but in order to get them to stay in place I squeeze them as I'm putting them on. The vacuum helps keep them in place and the dark helps keep anything nasty from growing in the faucets.

I second ^all of that^.
The brushes don't actually seal so they get wet, get gummy, and get disgusting, rapidly.
They're useful for cleaning spouts but crap for keeping them from getting nasty.
And I also squeeze the caps when sliding them on...

Cheers! :mug:

I have been using brush plugs for a few years. Input them in a mason jar of starsan every week or so and shake them up. No nasties yet, and Im still using the original set. Caps scare me!

I've used (and have) both. I prefer the brushes. I spray them with Starsan, scrub the faucet a bit. Dry with a paper towel and repeat. No nasties at all. With caps I always get a drip or two sitting in there. Even though I spray with Starsan - it grosses me out a bit. First-world problems! LOL

Latest posts

Back