Tap-a-Draft conversion for regulated CO2 from paintball tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
On a whim, I purchased a paintball tank with the idea of rigging up my tap-a-draft system to run from it.......

I bit off a bit more than I was ready for:

Couldn't find any way to connect to the paintball tank locally, but found an adapter on line. That adapter is designed to connect to a standard CO2 regulator using the nylon washer, etc.

I'm going to repurpose a very small regulator intended for acetylene from a compact plumber's torch set. It has 1/8" npt inlet. I'll have to modify the adapter so I can screw the regulator into it.

The Tap-a-Draft doesn't have any provision for a gas supply other than a disposable CO2 cartridge..... Originally I was looking at simply silver soldering a fitting to a CO2 cartridge that would allow me to feed right through the cartridge....... but it would hang too low as the only way I could do this is out the bottom of the cup that holds the cartridge....

Back to the drawing board.......... I looked at the cup itself (that holds the CO2 cartridge), and a light lit up......... That looks like 3/4" NPT............ Sure enough a piece of 3/4" pipe threads in perfectly.

The plan is to build a "nipple" that mates to the nylon seal washer in the Tap-a-Draft, and has a shoulder. A pipe plug will be drilled so the nipple fits through it, and the shoulder provides a bearing surface so when you screw the pipe plug down, it will press the nipple down tight. The piece that extends through the pipe plug will serve as a hose barb for the CO2 hose.

********** There is an easy way to do this. You can buy an adapter and hoses on Ebay for around $35 + shipping. You can buy a regulator from AIH (Adventures In Home Brewing)............ I like to build things myself.... and have the equipment.

Links below....................

H.W.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-CO2-CONVERSION-FOR-16-GRAM-TAP-A-DRAFT-Miller-Coors-HOME-DRAFT-DISPENSER-/161074232390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2580c5bc46

http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=2635&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ProductAds&gclid=CjwKEAjw65GqBRCj3fLFwK2SpWoSJABa3E3cHCx0S_6c1dJ0ls0SrX8ekoFwPV7Q68ylptSKa2xf1RoCt5Pw_wcB

I just ordered that reg from the homebrewing site. I would advise all other canadians not to bother. After conversion, shipping, duties and taxs you'll regret it now matter how cool it is. #buyersremorse

Back