Talked my BIL into a trial batch of hops...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brother in law hobby farms the family acreage (12 acres). I've been trying to get them to grow hops for about 5 years with little interest. Now he ordered a brewing kit and wants to do a small batch of hops to see if it's something to go for.

So...I ordered some rhizomes and I've researched a bunch of different trellis ideas. I'm wondering if anyone has any cost effective solutions...advice, tricks, things to avoid, etc as far as supporting the bines.

I have yet to grow any hops, but the trellis idea that I like is two high poles at the end of a row a strong line from pole to pole with pulleys. From that line a series of cordage lines that the bines can climb. When harvest time comes you can let down the high line bringing to hops to the ground.

I have yet to grow any hops, but the trellis idea that I like is two high poles at the end of a row a strong line from pole to pole with pulleys. From that line a series of cordage lines that the bines can climb. When harvest time comes you can let down the high line bringing to hops to the ground.

I was thinking something similar. For this initial batch, we're trying two different kinds of hops. I was initially toying with the cordage for the bines running at an angle out to the side. That way I'd do one type of hop offset to one side of the string line, and the other on the other side. My biggest concern about this approach is that they'll likely intermingle at the top.

I could do two totally separate sets of poles/strong line and drops, but it would double the cost. I'm trying to find a way to build something that isn't throw away if we decide to scale up, but isn't super expensive if we decide to never go beyond this.

I would keep it small to start. You could do a ground anchor and then attach the other end to a tall structure or post. Be aware that hops are very hard to kill and spread like weeds, so a raised bed or barrier is recommended.

If you have some reasonable equipment, sinking a post ~15' tall and then anchoring from the top to the ground in an asterisk * pattern would probably work well, and let you have 6-8 plants without any major hassle. Remember to think ahead and build with the knowledge that you are going to have to cut the bines down to harvest. They like lots of light and are thirsty, but don't like wet feet.

For varieties, I would stay away from common varieties and go towards something exotic. I have six cascade bines and the reality is that the work involved in harvesting a pound of cascade is not worth it. Great Lakes launched some new field grade varieties available in April, so I would look at those. I would look ot Glacier, Neomexicana, or maybe their new varieties of Saugatuck, Petoskey, or Arcadian. Grow something interesting that you want to taste as a late addition or dry hop, not yet another C-hop that gets lost in the hop bouquet.

FC0BC13F-1012-4326-932C-A2E81B30BD7B.jpeg
My setup with six plants. Last year I got around 6 lbs of dried hops. Speaking of which make sure you have a way to dry them and store them.

Attachments

• 3FBC06CF-D3CB-4B23-B6BB-DA272B526591.jpeg
    3FBC06CF-D3CB-4B23-B6BB-DA272B526591.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Back