Take a look, normal or odd? (NOT infected Cider...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I racked a simple cider to a secondary a week ago along with a brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, 2.5 tsp of P Sorbate and 2 crushed campden tablets.

I noticed this today. Tell me, normal??? Its not fuzzy at all, more bubbly and slimy looking, with things hanging down like octopus legs... I didnt expect any further fermentation because of the chemicals...

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

It's likely that slimy, snot-like stuff is (was) the powdered cinnamon. This is why I always use whole, cracked or sliced spices & contain them in a hop sack with a couple sanitized marbles to weigh it down. Easiest way to get rid of it is to rack from under. You lose a bit of product, but you get rid of most of the slimy stuff.
Unless you filter, you'l still get some of this sliminess falling out, but it'll be less & less each time you rack.
Regards, GF.

Other than what I mentioned above, and possibly a stronger than desired spice flavour profile, I'd say "no worries." I would rack from under the slime though.
Regards, GF.

Just a follow up, I racked from under the gunk (which never got any worse than the pictures) and it tasted fine. Will be interested to see how the flavor changes with age, as this is my firs cider. Thanks for keeping me calm!!

Back