TABC needs schooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
Why does the TABC list Beer and Ale, where Ale is anything over 4% alcohol vy weight? Do they not understand what Ale and Lagers are?

Ale/Malt Liquor – malt beverages with MORE than 4% alcohol by weight (a type of liquor)

Beer – malt beverages with more than a half percent alcohol by volume, but NOT more than 4% alcohol by weight (5% alcohol by volume).

Liquor – alcoholic beverages with MORE than 4% alcohol by weight (5% alcohol by volume). The term “liquor” includes ale/malt liquor, wine and distilled spirits.

Yep.Jester King helped talk some sense into them. Surprisingly, I miss having to have ABV on the label; an 8% ESB snuck up on me earlier this week

No, brewers have taken notice. Jester King properly labels their brews now and that ESB was from Real Ale and didn't have the alcohol printed on the label even though our was well over 5%. The thing that bothered me most was the lagers over 5% being labeled as an ale. That is just wrong.

It's still early since the ruling. Hopefully there will be more label changes this year

It was a stupid law. Texas is not the only state with those rules.

Craft breweries will probably start adopting the recent freedoms but some of the larger breweries that have been putting out beers with names and logos under the old rules are probably less interested in changing the labeling and getting things re-approved with the state and feds. It will probably be a long time before the effects of those rules go away. Besides, there might still be an appeal floating out there or promulgation of new, equally useless rules.

Oh yea, I totally forgot I read about this a while ago. I was looking around on the TABC website and saw the Ale/Beer info.

Latest posts

Back