System is ready, I need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I finished building my system but can't find any videos or tutorials for help.

I'm using a 2 pump, HERMS system with a cooler for the mash tun with a keggle for the HLT and a separate one for the BK. I think I know what I'm doing but could use some guidance.

Thanks!

first thing to do is figure out your boil off rate, dead space losses, losses to trub, etc,
are you using a brewing calculator like Beersmith?

I know you said you cant find any but really I would say let YouTube be your guide to get ideas. Then come here and ask good questions. We will help for sure!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks. I'm using beersmith so when I did a wet test I kept track of my loss in th MAsh tun and BK.

I guess I just don't understand if I fly sparge during the HERMS run or not.

I guess I just don't understand if I fly sparge during the HERMS run or not.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by 'fly sparge during the HERMS run'.

You want to recirculate the wort during the mashing process and fly sparge after your mash conversion is complete.

A simplified version of the process I use with my HERMS is as follows:
1) Dough in and stir

2) After about 10 minutes start pumping the wort through the HERMS coil

3) Keep recirculating the wort until mash conversion is complete, keeping an eye on the temperature of the mash. 60 min is pretty standard.

4) Raise temperature in HLT to 170 for mash out (optional).

5) Start the fly sparge (slowly pump the wort from the mash tun into the boil kettle while pumping water from the HLT on to the top of the grain bed).

Hope this helps!

Back