SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK just a heads up for people - if they know they need to fund paypal or something.

This is an estimate - I would guess maybe a little higher with gas prices if they add on a fuel surcharge.

CidahMastah $124.84
Brewdiver $163.08
Gergelat $78.36
twogunz $207.82
BigBrew54 $41.36 - Briess substitute bag needed, so not accurate estimate
Brehuh $119.35
stunsm $82.83
BrewsCampbell $78.87
Smashing $99.43
WPStrassburg $85.40
JayMckeever $128.96
wheadman66 $147.98
rustbucket $33.60
Jhenderson $99.51

(I should note - this is missing one bag for BigBrew54 - need to hear from him for his substitution before I can submit the order to the buyer).

Please take this time to read the payment instructions if you are a first time buyer - it is CRUCIAL that you follow them so the buyer doesn't get charged fees for helping us out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Thanks walker - I think we will see more and more of this crap going forward; homebrewers getting cut out of the bulk stuff that is...

North Country Malt said that they are trying to work it out with Briess so that they can sell to homebrewers in the future. NCM doesn't have any info on why Briess doesn't want the grain sold to homebrewers, but they are obligated to follow Briess' request.

MO is so worth it. Spring for the T-F.

Say, could you throw a couple one pound packages of Dark Candi Dark belgian sugar on there for me? I've been having a bear of a time finding it and I have a quad i want to make soon and age all summer.

Just saw this - must have missed this. For now we are only doing bulk buys for the grain and can't do the sugar because it isn't easy to assess shipping and more importantly - sometimes they can't fit it on the palate and so they will charge an extra palate fee. Sorry man

I did see some here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...belgian-candi-sugar/d2-candi-syrup-16-oz.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/d2-belgian-candi-syrup-1lb.html

If your willing to order from EU:
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.a ... =346&dt=24
http://www.sbi4beer.com/Producten/Suike ... aliteiten/

North Country Malt said that they are trying to work it out with Briess so that they can sell to homebrewers in the future. NCM doesn't have any info on why Briess doesn't want the grain sold to homebrewers, but they are obligated to follow Briess' request.

I think that the maltsters are getting pressure from LBHS because they are losing coin based on us homebrewers being wise to the bulk buys, and not willing to pay the mark up in the stores. I know that NCM stopped selling to "new" homebrewers based on similar pressure from the LHBS.

I am sure briess has talked with LHBS and told them that they won't sell direct to homebrewers, to protect the LHBS's interests. This would make LHBS's possibly stock briess over another brand, creating LHBS brand loyalty.

That is a lot of assumption, but I think that could be pretty close to what is going on. From the NCM's perspective they should want to sell to us direct. No way I would go through as much grain if I had to buy from the LHBS. They make the same money selling to us as they do to LHBS, so they benefit from our crazy arses.

Yeah that should be pretty sweet - looking forward to it for sure. I have a good amount of variety right now. Beyond 3 sixers, it will be tough for me to do, running out of certain stuff.

CidahMastah said:
OK just a heads up for people - if they know they need to fund paypal or something.

This is an estimate - I would guess maybe a little higher with gas prices if they add on a fuel surcharge.

CidahMastah $124.84
Brewdiver $163.08
Gergelat $78.36
twogunz $207.82
BigBrew54 $41.36 - Briess substitute bag needed, so not accurate estimate
Brehuh $119.35
stunsm $82.83
BrewsCampbell $78.87
Smashing $99.43
WPStrassburg $85.40
JayMckeever $128.96
wheadman66 $147.98
rustbucket $33.60
Jhenderson $99.51

(I should note - this is missing one bag for BigBrew54 - need to hear from him for his substitution before I can submit the order to the buyer).

Please take this time to read the payment instructions if you are a first time buyer - it is CRUCIAL that you follow them so the buyer doesn't get charged fees for helping us out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Does that make me the winner? :) I'm heading out of town for the weekend so if you get final costs I most likely won't submit paypal until Monday.

Does that make me the winner? :) I'm heading out of town for the weekend so if you get final costs I most likely won't submit paypal until Monday.

That is no problem - unless we hear from Bigbrew we can't get a quote - so even though the order is closed, I can't submit it for actual pricing just yet.

And yes that makes you the winner; I won't let it happen again ;)

right now i only have 3 brews ready for the sixer jhenderson. and cidah.. would oyu want more than one then?

Yeah that should be pretty sweet - looking forward to it for sure. I have a good amount of variety right now. Beyond 3 sixers, it will be tough for me to do, running out of certain stuff.

I'd throw down for an exchange but my pipeline is pretty stressed, and I'm dealing with a potential lacto infection at the moment, but I could offer a selection from my frozen yeast library! I have Wyeast 1056, 1332, 1450, 1945, and 3787.

1056 - American Ale, 1332 - Northwest Ale, 1450 - Denny's Favorite, 1945 - NB Neobrittania, 3787- Trappist High Gravity

With the frozen yeast, do you typically need to make a starter for each? Storage is just to freeze as low as you can, then thaw at room temp, pitch in starter and grow?

I have most of those yeasts right now - you should see my refridge. Loaded with canning jars filled with washed yeast.

Is the lacto infection from one of the frozen yeast strains?

Cidah,

Question on your canning jars with yeast... did you vacuum seal them? I have a ton of jars right now that I'm wanting to use for the yeast the same way. I've been making large starters and decanting a little bit of it into each jar and storing that way. How do you do it and is the viability long?

Cidah,

Question on your canning jars with yeast... did you vacuum seal them? I have a ton of jars right now that I'm wanting to use for the yeast the same way. I've been making large starters and decanting a little bit of it into each jar and storing that way. How do you do it and is the viability long?

No vaccum seal - though I could. Basically here is my method.

For 10 gallon batch:

1. Boil 3-4 quarts+ of water for 10 minutes - let water cool to 75F (you would use 2qts)
2. Now sterilize canning jars for 10 minute in boiling water and set aside.
3. Add sterilizes and cooled water to fermenter (onto yeast cake and swirl/ shake just enough to get it mixed in without aerating). Set timer for 20 minutes - don't touch fermenter.
4. once timer beeps - pour off top water - leave trub behind - into tall skinny container - set timer for 20 minutes - don't touch.
5. once timer beeps - pour off top water into tall skinny container and set timer for 20 minutes - don't touch.
6. When timer beeps pour off into your sterilized canning jars - pour so they just barely overflow. Put your sealing cap and ring cap on and it will slightly spill over, but give you no air head space.
7. put in refridge.

So basically give three 20 minute rests before pouring off into you jars. This yeast should be at least 80-90% viable.

after about a week they should fall clear, when you use for beer pour off water and pitch only the yeast.

I have had great luck with washing yeast - used some pretty old yeast too. Personally maybe 4-6 months old or more with no problems. Though I have read on these forums that people have used the washed yeast up to almost 2 years old.

tip:
put the washed yeast on the bottom of the refridge (coldest part of ref.). They should store better there.

One other thing. There is all kids of advice about not reusing yeast if the OG is above a 1.040 or 1.050 gravity (all my beers except hefes are above that).

My personal experience is that advice is crap. I usually will reuse yeast 3-4 times (take from fermenter batches up to 4 times). I have never had a problem - and I brew a ton of 1.070+ brews on the regular.

I have also heard that reusing hefe yeast is a bad idea and it won't give you good beer. This one I have never tested out - so I can't comment on it yet. However I plan on trying it anyway.

By the way I screwed this up slightly (*smashing - yours was off in my sheet):

CidahMastah $124.84
Brewdiver $163.08
Gergelat $78.36
twogunz $207.82
BigBrew54 $41.36
Brehuh $119.35
stunsm $82.83
BrewsCampbell $78.87
Smashing $83.99
WPStrassburg $85.40
JayMckeever $128.96
wheadman66 $147.98
rustbucket $33.60
Jhenderson $99.51

With the frozen yeast, do you typically need to make a starter for each? Storage is just to freeze as low as you can, then thaw at room temp, pitch in starter and grow?

I have most of those yeasts right now - you should see my refridge. Loaded with canning jars filled with washed yeast.

Is the lacto infection from one of the frozen yeast strains?

I mix in about 20% glycerin, and use an inoculation gun to store in 10ml vacutainers in the freezer, get about 16 from a smack pack. Thaw em out, and pitch into a flask on the stir plate with sterile, canned starter wort, first 300mL then step up to 1L. I can stuff my pressure cooker with 14 starters at a time, 7 in pint jars with 300mL, 7 in quart jars full at 1L. I don't think the lacto is from the yeast, as it only shows up in secondary after 3 or 4 weeks, but either from milling my grains a few feet from my fermenters, or from my transfer hose/disconnects being a little funky before I replaced them a few days ago (more likely).

I mix in about 20% glycerin, and use an inoculation gun to store in 10ml vacutainers in the freezer, get about 16 from a smack pack. Thaw em out, and pitch into a flask on the stir plate with sterile, canned starter wort, first 300mL then step up to 1L. I can stuff my pressure cooker with 14 starters at a time, 7 in pint jars with 300mL, 7 in quart jars full at 1L. I don't think the lacto is from the yeast, as it only shows up in secondary after 3 or 4 weeks, but either from milling my grains a few feet from my fermenters, or from my transfer hose/disconnects being a little funky before I replaced them a few days ago (more likely).

I was just asking someone about this.

What is your pressure canner time for the wort - I am even considering doing sterilized water for washing like this (no wait time for cooling).

is it 10 psi presser?
For how long?

I assume you leave the typical 1/2 inch headspace

Wanted to bump the page - please check this order listing for your stuff - this WILL be the order (minus bigbrews missing item). If something is wrong here, it will be wrong on your order.

Update.jpg

CidahMastah said:
Status
Total Bags = 42

Brewdiver x3 CM-2ROW
Brewdiver x1 CM-PALE
gerglegat x1 CM-2ROW
gerglegat x1 CM-PILS
TwoGunz x2 BZ-PILS
TwoGunz x1 BZ-MUNH
TwoGunz x1 BD-MOPA
BigBrew54 x1 GW-O2RP organic pilsner
BigBrew54 x1 1bag-5359 organic caramel malt 20L
Brehuh x1 CM-PALE
Brehuh x1 CM-2ROW
Brehuh x1 BD-MOPA
stunsm x1 BD-PILS
stunsm x1 CM-2ROW
cidahmastah x1 BZ-PILS
cidahmastah x1 BZ-WHT
BrewsCampbell x1 BZ-PILS
Smashing x2 CM-2ROW
WPStrassburg x2 CM-PILS
JayMckeever x2 CM-PALE
JayMckeever x2 CM-PILS
wheadman66 3 x CM-2ROW
wheadman66 1 x CM-PALE
jehnderson27 x1 MO

completed splits:
1. c60 - 1/3 (BrewDiver, twogunz,Brehuh)
2. c120 (GW-C120) - 1/4 (jhenderson, twogunz, brewdiver, BrewsCampbell)
3. C60 (GW-C60) - 1/2 (Smashing, wheadman66)
4. BZ-PILS - 1/2 (jhenderson, rustbucket)
5. BZ-CRPL- 1/3 (cidahmastah, twogunz, rustbucket)
6. BD-VIEN - BrewsCampbell (1/2) CidahMastah (1/4) WPStrassburg (1/4)
7. Thomas-Fawcetts Pale Chocolate (TF-PCHO) - (brewscampbell, cidahmastah, brewdiver, TwoGunz)
8. GP-FLWHT - Flaked wheat - 1/3 (cidahmastah, jhenderson, WPStrassburg)
9. BZ-CRPL - 1/3 (stunsm, gergelgat, jhenderson)

Splits requested:
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 2 people (brewdiver, gergelgat)
WPStrassburg
1. White Wheat - 1/3 needs 2 people
3. Rice hulls 1/4 needs 3
BrewsCampbell
1. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 2 (WPStrassburg)

Red Letters = Pending confirmation

For my C20 split, i'm willing to go up to 50%...if that helps?

I was just asking someone about this.

What is your pressure canner time for the wort - I am even considering doing sterilized water for washing like this (no wait time for cooling).

is it 10 psi presser?
For how long?

I assume you leave the typical 1/2 inch headspace

I figure the sterilization gold standard is 250ºF (15 psi) for 15 minutes, and have stuck with that. The quart jars get a 1/2" headspace, the pint jars have quite a bit more as I like the 300mL starter volume, being ~2/3 the volume of a 500mL flask. The DME at the higher temp seems to darken/caramelize a little more, but I haven't noticed a color contribution from the 1.3L total, in even cream ale. It's really awfully nice to pop a jar and get your starter whirling in all of about 15 seconds...

I figure the sterilization gold standard is 250ºF (15 psi) for 15 minutes, and have stuck with that. The quart jars get a 1/2" headspace, the pint jars have quite a bit more as I like the 300mL starter volume, being ~2/3 the volume of a 500mL flask. The DME at the higher temp seems to darken/caramelize a little more, but I haven't noticed a color contribution from the 1.3L total, in even cream ale. It's really awfully nice to pop a jar and get your starter whirling in all of about 15 seconds...

Very cool - I have a 23qt pressure cooker for when we can stuff - this will make light work with some good thinking ahead prep work - thanks for the tips! I am really pushing away from DME, since it is cost prohibitive from my point of view. I think as often as I can, I am going to grab some weak wort and put it aside. So far I think I have about 4 quarts in the freezer. I can see that with a few more batches, I think I will be busting out the pressure cooker for a canning wort and sterilized water day :)

FYI - if we don't:
1. Get the quote
2. Pay up (cleared payments)
3. Place the order by Tuesday

we likely won't get the grain order in until the 16th at best.
i.e. If you are in rush for your grain:
1. add a credit card to back up your paypal account so you will have "instant payment transfers". If you don't, it will take 3-5 days for your transfer to the buyer to clear. Orders will not move ahead until the buyer has all the money cleared.

Thanks,

I really hate to do this but I have to back out of this round. I just got a large and unexpected medical bill today. Freaking divorces suck. Sorry if this puts you guys behind.

Hi,
If Brewdiver goes to 50% on the C20 then that's complete and will offset one of Smashings pulled sacks, Right?
Cheers!

Hi,
If Brewdiver goes to 50% on the C20 then that's complete and will offset one of Smashings pulled sacks, Right?
Cheers!

With the price I was gonna pay for the organic C20 I can grab two bags of regular stuff which I'll do. So between that and the completed split order we should still be at 42bag minimum, I hope.

I missed this one send me a pm for the next round whenever that starts. I should be ready for some more grain by then. I still have quite a bit from the last round.

Back