SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id take a double of dfh60 and edworts pale.

You guys are getting:
(2) Madagascar Burbon Vanilla Bean Porter 8.75%
(1) Rotten Crotch Light Ale
(1) Firebush Red Ale
(1) Torpedo IPA
(1) Cocoa Stout

The vanilla stout didnt make it. It was too yum! Im still hoping to brew a belgin wit, my house pale ale and a house porter. Need time whicb i cant seem to find.

Id take a double of dfh60 and edworts pale.

You guys are getting:
(2) Madagascar Burbon Vanilla Bean Porter 8.75%
(1) Rotten Crotch Light Ale
(1) Firebush Red Ale
(1) Torpedo IPA
(1) Cocoa Stout

The vanilla stout didnt make it. It was too yum! Im still hoping to brew a belgin wit, my house pale ale and a house porter. Need time whicb i cant seem to find.

All the beers look awesome from both you guys - can't wait.

I am between two belgian wits jhenderson - did you pick your recipe yet. I am either going biermunchers or AHS's blue moon clone. People have been raving about the AHS clone as well. Right now I am trying to decide which one I will try first.

Haha - well isn't that why we brew for them?

I like blue moon and all, just not my favorite beer ever. Good with an orange wedge on a hot day.

sounds awesome, i guess i have some drinking to do.. hahaha, but yeah, i can def bottle 2 of eah of those. the DFH 60 is force carbing now, and dry being dry hopped, so it will be ready (should be) this weekend and def by next.

jhenderson, i hope your happy with sam adams bottles, its all i have right now.. but if you want the plain jane bottles, i could dig them up somewhere.

Cidah, i was thinking of the same thing for the taste test, i picked one up, altho mine does not taste anything like it.. it def is a good brew, very interesting.

update

Just heard back from our buyer. Looks like the invoice will be sent over tomorrow, and the order will ship Thursday IF all payments are submitted and cleared.

From previous experience there is a 3 day lag from shipment time. i.e. if it ships Thursday, I would expect I will receive it Monday.

There is a small chance we could get it in this Friday; but the only chance of that would be if we were all paid up very early tomorrow a.m.

Keep an eye out - I will be posting your totals as soon as I receive the invoice.

Idc as long as they are.decent bottles im fine. Mine are all plain janes with a random sam or sierra snuck in

Yeah mine too - I think the amarillo IPA is in a new bottle, but the rest are PBW cleaned and then sanitized before use. Some not so pretty, others not bad.

eh... I spend my coin on beer equip and ingred. instead ;)

I unfortunately won't have any homebrew ready. I've got 2 batches ready to bottle but don't think my schedule is going to allow it yet. I'd have liked to have tipped you (cidah) with one... Maybe next time

i do i do i do!!!! i have so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that i will never use!

i would like to trade you for c120 if that is ok, like 1 1/2 - 2lbs, and ill give you 7-10 lbs for that?

if you dont want to do that, let me know what you would like to do, im more than willing to get rid of 10lbs of those, you can only use so much... plus they suck of a TON of wort in the mashtun... make sure you soak them before hand, i made the mistake of forgetting to get them ready and, out of 4 gallons, i got just under two on my first runnings, this was a 10lbs mash.

i do i do i do!!!! i have so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that i will never use!

i would like to trade you for c120 if that is ok, like 1 1/2 - 2lbs, and ill give you 7-10 lbs for that?

if you dont want to do that, let me know what you would like to do, im more than willing to get rid of 10lbs of those, you can only use so much... plus they suck of a TON of wort in the mashtun... make sure you soak them before hand, i made the mistake of forgetting to get them ready and, out of 4 gallons, i got just under two on my first runnings, this was a 10lbs mash.

doh! yeah I soaked mine before hand in warm water for about an hour while I was hauling out the brew equipment. I was a little low on volume from first runnings, but nothing like what you described!

Nope not yet - yeah I think that we got behind in line when we didn't wrap this up Friday, then we were delayed with smashing dropping his order so we were slow out of the gate.

Will let you know as soon as I know the pricing - but my wit looks like it is delayed until next week at least :( Can't see us getting this order in by Friday.

not a big deal for me... im not in a rush to get the stuff i need, plus more time for me to get brews ready for our exchange.

Update:

Ok - should be getting the quote in for this in the next hour or so.

SUBSTITUTIONS:
Presently, NCM is out of CM-2ROW and they will not be supplied with that in the near future. They have offered to substitute out the 2-row with the superior pilsen for the same price (see comparison below).

This affects 9 bags
Brewdiver x 3
Gergelgat x 1
Brehuh x 1
Stunsm x 1
Wheadman66 x 3

SRM for CM-2ROW and Superior Pilsner is nearly identical.

If you can't live with the substitution please let me know ASAP

PRODUCT COMPARISON:

CMC Superior Pilsen (1.4-1.9°L)
Produced from selected lots of premium Canadian grown Copeland barley, Canada Malting Superior Pilsen is
low in total protein, high in extract and low in color which makes it a perfect base malt for lagers of all types.

CMC Canadian 2-Row (1.5-2.1°L)
Traditional, premium grade 2-Row malt made from the finest Canadian barley malt varieties. This malt is a
suitable base for all beer styles.

Also - if someone is able to secure a loading dock at their work or similar - we would stand to save somewhere between 160+ on shipping. That would bring the cost from ~6.50 per bag down to more like $4. So if anyone has such an offering locally - PM me and we can see of we can make it work.

Current shipping cost is ~$270, we would save ~160

Loading dock - commercial address - no lift gate needed.

270/42 = $6.43 per bag
110/42 = $2.62 per bag

A really nice savings if we can get such a location for delivery.

Sounds good to me. I may have availability to a dock but it would then be in ROC.

For this order - since they are processing the invoice - and people bought under the pretense of Syracuse buy, we will keep it in Syracuse, unless a dock is available in Syracuse. However - in the future that is something that we could consider for sure.

The one tough aspect of the commercial dock is... everyone has to be there to pick up there grain at the same time, roughly. And the commercial address has to be patient in that aspect.

CidahMastah said:
For this order - since they are processing the invoice - and people bought under the pretense of Syracuse buy, we will keep it in Syracuse, unless a dock is available in Syracuse. However - in the future that is something that we could consider for sure.

The one tough aspect of the commercial dock is... everyone has to be there to pick up there grain at the same time, roughly. And the commercial address has to be patient in that aspect.

Next time I might be able to get a dock for us in SYR. I'd just have to look into the logistics.

Update:

Ok - should be getting the quote in for this in the next hour or so.

SUBSTITUTIONS:
Presently, NCM is out of CM-2ROW and they will not be supplied with that in the near future. They have offered to substitute out the 2-row with the superior pilsen for the same price (see comparison below).

This affects 9 bags
Brewdiver x 3
Gergelgat x 1
Brehuh x 1
Stunsm x 1
Wheadman66 x 3

SRM for CM-2ROW and Superior Pilsner is nearly identical.

If you can't live with the substitution please let me know ASAP

PRODUCT COMPARISON:

CMC Superior Pilsen (1.4-1.9°L)
Produced from selected lots of premium Canadian grown Copeland barley, Canada Malting Superior Pilsen is
low in total protein, high in extract and low in color which makes it a perfect base malt for lagers of all types.

CMC Canadian 2-Row (1.5-2.1°L)
Traditional, premium grade 2-Row malt made from the finest Canadian barley malt varieties. This malt is a
suitable base for all beer styles.

That's cool w/me!

Substitution fine with me.
Thanks
FYI, the Loading dock shipping price would be the same for any business address with forklift availability. In other words, a forklift alone would suffice without a dock. I have that accessibility in Albany, but too far for everyone I'm sure.

PAYMENT TIME

OK since everyone is fine with the substitution please start making payments.

If you don't have the buyer's payment info - I will PM it to you:

Here is the final billing (PAID 6/13)

CidahMastah
Brewdiver
BigBrew54
WPStrassburg
JayMckeever
Jhenderson
Gergelat $87.43
twogunz $200.03
Brehuh $129.98
stunsm $82.48
BrewsCampbell $86.16
wheadman66 $127.48
rustbucket $32.74

Please let me know when you have made payment (you can just post it up here on the site).

GREEN BOLD = PAID Status

Thanks

Substitutions:

Hey all - just a quick note here:

I know we got hit with a substitution for the 2ROW on this one, unfortunately substitutions happen. Due to the nature of a commercial order - it doesn't work quite like amazon.com or another store where a quick swap is easy to do. Once the substitution is offered and I make it, there are literally hours that go by after that decision is made before the order is often picked and unchangeable. I say all this because we had a last minute change request for the order - and unfortunately I couldn't make it because the order was picked. This is just the nature of the beast with a group buy.

Changes in the final hours of an order happen and it is essential that you monitor HBT to make changes quickly and appropriately.

I am working in the interest of expediting the order for the group - so I apologize to the person who couldn't get their change made. I thought in the least I would point this out so others understood the process better and could learn from it.

Personally a sub between pils and 2 row is like coke and pepsi. They are the same thing. I understand frustrations but you can mix them interchanably. Its .5 lovibond different and my palate sure cant tell the difference. Just my. 02

Personally a sub between pils and 2 row is like coke and pepsi. They are the same thing. I understand frustrations but you can mix them interchanably. Its .5 lovibond different and my palate sure cant tell the difference. Just my. 02

Haha - good coke/pepsi analogy.

I agree - I know a couple guys who only buy pils and use it as if it was 2row - because you can lager with pils but can't lager *well* with 2ROW (mostly due to the slightly darker SRM of 2row). I have had the ales they brew with the pils stuff and it is good beer. Maybe side by side I could tell a difference, but even then I doubt it.

Truth is - the PILS costs more and is considered a superior product - according to NCM

Just so we are on the same page - if we don't process the payment by 5pm this order will be submitted Monday (or when payments have been completed). From the date we place the order, it will be a minimum of 3-5 days for it to process since this is a residential delivery.

What to expect:
1. Payment goes in and all have cleared - buyer calls in payment and shipment is activated.
2. Ships from Champlain, NY to warehouse.
3. Routed to local route - 1 day delay for residential delivery notification.
4. They notify me of the time of shipment and it is shipped the following day.

Steps left:
1. (PENDING) Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via paypal)​
2. (PENDING) Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
3. (PENDING) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (PENDING) and where it is shipping to (PENDING) , when to pick it up (PENDING) .​
4. (PENDING) We all slap high five and say job well done.​

Latest posts

Back