Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! I only need the 1/3 bags of C60L and Chocolate malt. I totally forgot I had stocked up on c40L a while ago.

Sorry was on a hiatus this weekend. Planting season is sneaking up so was doing some grunt work.

rustbucket - I think your were looking for some C40 - looks like bierhaus can't do the c40 bag, are you interested?

Looks like interest is stalling a bit on this order - so if you know people who might be interested try to seek them out. Rustbucket and I may be in on splitting 2 bags if we don't get takers on our splits. However that still leaves us 10 bags short. We need a 1/2 bag of wheat to bump up the bags by 1 as well (my friend will do a whole bag on his own and someone can split with rustbucket).

We did have a couple people promise orders that didn't place them, so that would have been the difference between closing this one up or not. A couple of those people thought we could ship the grain to them, so they won't be buying.

Anyway, let me know if there is anything missing, otherwise I will consider the sheet accurate. Keep posting splits on bags - that will help get us to the order closing.

Thanks!

Need: 42 Total
Have: 31

*Specialty Grain Splitting:

Notes:
*For ordering (and other general) instructions Click this link

Chart will be updated daily (it is missing rice hull addition)

Home Buy Sheet.jpg

Grain Wish List.JPG

Just giving this a bump and reposting the "want" list for specialty grains.

No sweat :)

Keep reaching out to people, jumping in on a splits or considering another bag of grain!

Grain Wish List.JPG

Unfortunately the buyer said that the hops can become a pain for the group buy. Sometimes they fit on the pallet, sometimes they charge extra, etc. For now we aren't doing any.

Also, hops don't contribute to the pallet weight (which we need to get us the good prices).

check these guys out http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com/Scripts/default.asp
I just did an order with them and the price came out good (less than 1$ per oz) and I was able to get a ton of variety. Check out the hop packs (basically, discounted groups of hops that you can pick).

+1 on farmhousesupply. Just got my order in today. Good prices for sure. I noticed their alpha acids are a bit low compared to most places, but for the price, throwing in an extra 1/2 oz here and there still makes them a good buy

Yeah - I noticed that most places are getting pretty liberal with the AAU's on pellet hops. The crop comes in at 10.8% and the pelletized hops are 6.9.... suckers. Talk about charging you more for less.

Makes me want to buy leaf hops, but I did that an working with them sucks if you do a free hopping in your pot. Holy Christmas I should have remembered to add rice hulls to filter my boiled wort through after my boil there were so many hop leaves and seeds!

I also like hops direct if you are going for one type of hops, but you need to buy a lot to get the cost down after shipping. Hop buy anyone? haha

We should do a hops buy during April. I can pose the question to them. By the way I know the supplier of hops to Ithaca Brewery. I'll be getting pellets or leafs fresh off farm forvaround 8 a pound. August let me know I'll pick up and ship.

Yea, hop buy for sometime in the near future sounds good. Having that, plus all this grain, I'll be set for the year lol. Now I just have to start up a small yeast lab and I'll cut my costs significantly.

Bulk corneys and bulk hops I would consider. I would consider at least 3-5 kegs (based on price). Hops I just did a decent order, but would consider it. The conicals I would love, but realistically can't do this year.

Sweet deal on the leaf hops. There is a guy who lives near me who grows hops someone was telling me. I think on smokey hollow road, but I am not sure. Would love to get some .50 a lb hops!

And that is the truth, the money is running thin right about now. I am working on my electric brewing set up and that is pulling some coin into it!

Honestly, I leverage the **** out of everything I buy whenever possible - hence why I worked hard on getting a buyer and setting up these grain buys. So if you guys seriously do have an interest in doing something like that, let me know, or post it up. We can all save money and benefit from it. I guarantee that we could get a good price break if we had numbers on the buy.

That's all it is, numbers when a company sees quantity they can feel secure and drop margins. Hell they make 200 to 300% or more on everything.

The bulk cornies do sound like an awesome idea depending on price.

But maybe in April or May. Give us all a chance to recover from the grain purchases.

I still need to purchase something to put all this grain in too! Enough dog food containers to do it looks like it is going to run me a small fortune, so it might be homer buckets for now.

Yea, I've had to use homer buckets because I didn't want to spend more. Only thing is each bag takes 2 homer buckets and there's still some left over, like about 4 lbs

The bulk cornies do sound like an awesome idea depending on price.

But maybe in April or May. Give us all a chance to recover from the grain purchases.

I still need to purchase something to put all this grain in too! Enough dog food containers to do it looks like it is going to run me a small fortune, so it might be homer buckets for now.

Ha - agreed! I need some recovery time (and to secure my marriage after all the spending haha). I can only say "we are saving so much money by buying bulk" for so long before she will lose it and cut me off!

For containers - check out walmart - they have these large dog food containers for $23. They keep running out of stock, so check back. They hold over 1 55lb bag of grain.

Also check these out (http://www.bronsteincontainer.com/). They make a 55 gallon FDA poly container. I can't recall the cost (I think less than $50 for a new one). But they seal with a lid, pretty much airtight but not quite. Anyway, I have them already for cider. For the 55 barrel size I can fit 4 bags of grain (my overstock so to speak). In a 30 gallon one I have it perfectly holds 2. You can grab them onsite if you call ahead, no shipping so the cost is pretty good. I imagine the big one is the best buy. These are ideal for double bags of 2 row or less frequently used grains. You have to pop the lid off each time, but honestly, how often do you brew that this would be so inconvenient - ha. Plus you get a giant blue barrel.

You would want :http://www.bronsteincontainer.com/Poly.htm
I bet you could get away with a reconditioned one too, for a good price. You would want open head with a lid.

I actually went to walmart and bought 5 of the 10lbs dog food containers and 3 of the 25lbs for $105 total. I had used the dimentions from the manufactures website to estimate volume and calcluated the 10lbs to about 5 gallons and the 25lbs to be around 11 gallons.

Got them home and measured them and found the 10lbs to be about 3.5 gallons and the 25lbs to be around 8 gallons.

So i returned them.

Homer buckets will be cheaper anyways. And look manlier.

Need: 42 Total
Have: 32

Notes:
*I added in the rice hulls and the Rye since they will be bought regardless of another splitter - but if anyone is interested they are more than welcome.
*For ordering (and other general) instructions Click this link

Chart will be updated daily

Buyer share matrix.jpg

Grain Wish List.JPG

I actually went to walmart and bought 5 of the 10lbs dog food containers and 3 of the 25lbs for $105 total. I had used the dimentions from the manufactures website to estimate volume and calcluated the 10lbs to about 5 gallons and the 25lbs to be around 11 gallons.

Got them home and measured them and found the 10lbs to be about 3.5 gallons and the 25lbs to be around 8 gallons.

So i returned them.

Homer buckets will be cheaper anyways. And look manlier.

Ah - the ones I grabbed were for 50lbs of food - but I bought 5 of them in total and haven't seen any in the wallmart since. I assume they would restock.

Homber buckets with the seal the deal just fine - also - those bins are pretty metro sexual...

Now were on to the sexual prowness of a bucket. Maybe we all can't spare the brain cells drinking kills. Ahh screw it, still like I said 5gallon sealable loses bucket with lid for 4 dollars a piece. Even got a nice logo on it. Whoo!

Now were on to the sexual prowness of a bucket. Maybe we all can't spare the brain cells drinking kills. Ahh screw it, still like I said 5gallon sealable loses bucket with lid for 4 dollars a piece. Even got a nice logo on it. Whoo!

See this is what happens when nobody is adding to our grain buy. We all get bored waiting for it to end! ha

Anybody out there want a bag or two? jingling Christmas, I need my specialties!

Just to let you guys know - I floated Randy's $300 last time, (unannounced to him) to place the order quickly. I met Randy, he is a good guy. But I didn't know him or anyone getting in on this!

Thankfully Randy paid, and thankfully I got my $300 back.

This is why the grain came in so quick. Once we clear money's (pending we actually close up this order) it takes about 3 days for the order to roll out from the moment the buyer pulls the trigger.

That answered my question to time from payment to delivery. Im gonna throw my lhbs a line and see if they are interested

Ha - well payment means... "cleared" payment. So check out the payment instructions. If your paypal doesn't have a credit card on it, your payment will take 3-5 days to clear.

So here is the process based on last time:
1. We all close the order. I submit the request to the buyer and he sends to NCM (1 day).
2. They reply with a quote (took 3 days last time).
3. I put in all the actual pricing and give everyone an amount to pay the buyer (1 day)
4. People pay and the payment clears (5-7days)
5. Buyer calls in the order and they delivery (3-4 days)

So from Order closing (42 bags) to delivery you are looking at 13+days on the low end. Last time it took 10 days, and I pre-payed for Randy. If I hadn't prepayed, we would have gotten it 14 days.

So if you want your grain soon - go recruit some buyers. Luckily I can work recipes with what I have - this time I am in less of a hurry :)

Another thing to keep in mind is.... If it is taking a long time to fill the order then likely it will be a long while before a re-order. So stock up!

i got none :(... to bad... my friends are lame and would rather go buy beer because its easier...

i brewed Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen today, i just did the numbers 83.3 percent efficency! wow! much better than the crusher i used at sun hydro.. that was only getting me about 70-73 percent.. so that means i can use less grain now for things/ and save some money or brew more hahaha!

thought i would just share that due to.. if i tell anyone around they they are like wtf are you talking about and i care how?

Just wanted to jump in on the storage container discussion. It's definitely a concern. I have to store my grain in my barn with variable temps, and worst of all, potential rodents. ugh! Funds are at a premium so I've had to find the cheapest option, but one that gets the job done. I don't like the containers at Wal-Mart I.e Rubbermaid (there's gaps in between the lid and container to let the mice in), although I didn't see the dog food containers. Recently I discovered some higher quality totes at Lowes. Wide price range. And there's always the Steel trash can options too (~$25 @ Home Depot). Also, I use the HUGE XXL Ziploc bags to keep moisture from affecting the malts over long storage periods.

Ziploc-http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=XXL
Lowe's-http://tinyurl.com/4lfy6ja
Lowe's-http://tinyurl.com/4heagsj

-Still working the mo on some brewing friends of mine to possibly buy a bag or two, but I can't promise anything. They love their extract.

-I'm not in any hurry, whenever the order gets complete is fine for me. My money was transferred to PayPal this past week, so whenever we get the good word I'll be ready. Just stoked to be saving money on grain.

Next step..... yeast bank

i got none :(... to bad... my friends are lame and would rather go buy beer because its easier...

i brewed Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen today, i just did the numbers 83.3 percent efficency! wow! much better than the crusher i used at sun hydro.. that was only getting me about 70-73 percent.. so that means i can use less grain now for things/ and save some money or brew more hahaha!

thought i would just share that due to.. if i tell anyone around they they are like wtf are you talking about and i care how?

Cool that recipe is on my list

Just wanted to jump in on the storage container discussion. It's definitely a concern. I have to store my grain in my barn with variable temps, and worst of all, potential rodents. ugh! Funds are at a premium so I've had to find the cheapest option, but one that gets the job done. I don't like the containers at Wal-Mart I.e Rubbermaid (there's gaps in between the lid and container to let the mice in), although I didn't see the dog food containers. Recently I discovered some higher quality totes at Lowes. Wide price range. And there's always the Steel trash can options too (~$25 @ Home Depot). Also, I use the HUGE XXL Ziploc bags to keep moisture from affecting the malts over long storage periods.

Ziploc-http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=XXL
Lowe's-http://tinyurl.com/4lfy6ja
Lowe's-http://tinyurl.com/4heagsj

-Still working the mo on some brewing friends of mine to possibly buy a bag or two, but I can't promise anything. They love their extract.

-I'm not in any hurry, whenever the order gets complete is fine for me. My money was transferred to PayPal this past week, so whenever we get the good word I'll be ready. Just stoked to be saving money on grain.

Next step..... yeast bank

Thanks for working your friends! - remember you can buy extract from NCM too. Get them to grab a 50lb bag or two.

For your containers in the barn - seriously look at the poly 55 gallon from brown stein. You can check mine out when you pick up the grain. No mice are getting in there. I think they cost like $55, but they hold 4 bags....

You sure as hell can't beat the price!

We might have another couple bags coming in from a coworker from Chrisp522 and FL Brewer's friends.

Remember - we can add a quick three bags with our splits:
.5 bag of Wheat Malt
.5 bag Torrified Wheat
.33 bag of C40 - Crystal 40

All of these need one person to participate. Gives us three bags to our total.

We are getting there!

Latest posts

Back