Swollen Grape Extract Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrew

Reaction score
I have a Wine Expert Chocolate Raspberry Port kit I bought about 15 months ago. When I first bought it I was told it would last a few years unmade. I pulled it out of the back of the closet under the stairs today and the grape extract (juice) bag is swollen to the point that it is ripping the box. Should I assume this has gone bad or is it okay. Any thoughts are welcome. Hate to toss $110. Thanks.

Wine Kit 1215.JPG

If it swelled up like that, it means there's something growing and producing enough gas/pressure to damage the box. Try contacting the manufacturer; it seems pretty unlikely you'd have your receipt from back then, but they may be willing to replace it since it doesn't even look like you had previously opened the box, let alone any of the bags. You may want to give them a call first on how to handle before following up with an email and pictures. I'd probably (carefully) place it in a large covered plastic bin just in case the pressure ruptures the bag- it is a lot easier to clean a contained mess than replace carpets/stained floors.

Thanks. Sent them an email and they say it is only guaranteed for a year. Guess I will try my local guy that told me it should last two next.

Local guy (Thanks Homebrew HQ in Richardson) gave me a store credit for the amont of both and did the same for a friend with one from the same batch. Makes me glad I do all my buying there.

Back