SWMBO says the cider is too dry, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
My first cider went into the bottles today. It was a kit, something I hope never to do again: no real problems, it just felt too easy and a bit fake. I know the cider kit is nearly the same thing I get when I buy a partial mash kit from the LHBS, but something about adding in a packet of clear liquid labeled "cider flavoring" just took all the fun out of it.

ANYHOW: the good news is, everything seemed to go fine. Just over 5% ABV, nice and clear, so on and so on. Bottled it today, used carb tabs (another suggestion from the LHBS, something ELSE I'm not planning on doing again, but I digress). Everything seemed to go fine, that is, until the wife tasted it. I took it to be a bit dry, but expected that since I didn't backsweeten and the FG was 1.003, so go figure. But SWMBO turned up her nose, declared it MUCH too dry and not at all to her liking, and now I'm staring down the barrel of 2.5 cases of this stuff with only me to down it.

SO, here's the question (finally): I know this is sacrilege to many on this forum, but does anyone have any COOL suggestions on how to sweeten the cider to make it more palatable for someone who would prefer a sweeter cider, now that it is in the bottles? I know I can't magically inject anything into the bottles now that they're sealed; I'm envisioning something I could mix with the cider when serving.

Picture it: Me, fully dressed in white tie and dinner jacket, doing my best James Bond, shaken-not-stirred impression, serving a drink to my devilishly-dressed wife, just waiting for her to ask whether or not that's my Walther PPK in my pocket. This isn't a time to be dumping a bunch of straight sugar or corn syrup into the martini mixer. Now, James Bond would have some kind of cider-sweetening mojo hidden in his watch or a pen or something, but Q has left me in a lurch. So, I turn to you!

So, waddaya say? A little thawed apple juice concentrate? Some other juice? An extract of some sort? NAME IT!

And of course, to all: Thank you, Moneypenny.

:cool:

I reckon serving it with a equal part of apple juice or doing a halfnhalf with it would do good. You could unpop all the bottles, mix them with sugar syrup apple juice then re bottle them, but that's a lot of work.

Some of my German friends swear by adding Sprite to their glasses, for sweetness and bubbles.

Otherwise, just a little simple syrup would work. You can make it in advance, and keep it in the fridge and just add it to taste.

Well, 1.003 is on the drier end. You could always let it age out, I know I just brewed a cider that finished at 0.990 and it was way too dry, but now that it is creeping up on 2 months old it is much improved. Worse case, get used to adding a bit of splenda when you pour it.

Is there a real problem with opening each of the bottles returning the cider to a carboy , stabilizing the cider with K-meta and K-sorbate and then adding something to sweeten the cider and then rebottle. You could perhaps add apple juice concentrate or sugar or agave syrup or ???

Make punch or something like sangria - cider, fruit brandy, 7up, fresh fruit...

Do not open them and add sugar and reseal - they will overcarb.

Is there a real problem with opening each of the bottles returning the cider to a carboy , stabilizing the cider with K-meta and K-sorbate and then adding something to sweeten the cider and then rebottle. You could perhaps add apple juice concentrate or sugar or agave syrup or ???

Well, that would kill the carbonation.

It would work - but you would have flat bottled cider.

The graff recipe has some sweetness. I found using 2 or more pounds of crystal malt with 2 row and mashing at a high temp leaves a lot of body and sweetness.

The two Bouchet cysers I've made also finished with some sweetness

Anything that mixes well with champagne does just as well with dry cider. In your case I suggest one part orange juice and 2-3 parts bone dry cider. Mimosas for you honey! If that doesn't work then shake it up and pour it over your buddies heads after winning the softball World Series or Christian a boat with it. Just like champagne...

I find lemonade saves the day with dry cider. I added 2tsp of Acesulphame K sweetener to a 5 gal batch when I racked it. FG was 0.998 & it's really nice just as it comes out the bottle

Since are all civilized here*, and only drink from glasses (never directly from bottles or cans), why not keep some Apple Juice in the refrigerator, and add an ounce or two when you pour your cider?
You can use shot glasses to measure what you like, an ounce or an ounce and a half.

* - I told someone t work that I'd cut him off if he drinks from the bottle. Gotta experience the aroma and taste to fully enjoy home brew.

Put some honey, or just sugar, in the glass, pour a little, mix it, then finish it off with carbed cider.

I make dry apfelwein, my wife loves it dry, her friends like it sweet, this way one bottle meets both needs!

I am drinking a cider that went way to dry right now. I added ginger and pineapple to this one as it was fermenting wanting it to taste like a reeds ginger beer but its so dry it has a medicine flavor. When I pour a glass I just add a little apple juice to it and it tastes great. Two fingers of apple juice per pint.

David

I once opened each bottle, used a syringe to add a few mls of Apple Juice Concentrate, closed em up, let 'em carbonate a bit for 24-48 hours, then stovetop-pasteurized them (see sticky). Worked great. You're not too dry, so a little squirt in each bottle could bring you up to 1.007-8 or perhaps higher.

The only thing is that the sugars in AJC are pretty inferior, so you won't get the same effect as backsweetening properly with real juice, but it might be more palatable for her.

My wife thought the same thing of a cider I made. The following is actual conversation on how it played out...

Me: Hey, you. Would you like to try one of those ciders I slaved over for you?

Wife: Sure thing. You're so awesome at making things. I am such a lucky girl. Super attractive too! Way more attractive than any other guy.

Me: *kitchen/glass/pouring noises* Here ya go!

Wife: :cross: Boy is this dry!!

Me: Really? I took a sip and didn't think so. Are you sure you're not wrong....again?

Wife: I know it wasn't your fault because you are perfect in every way, but it tastes dry to me.

Me: Hmm, well. You could try sticking your finger in it, but I'm afraid that might OVER-sweeten it.

Wife: *awesome noises*

Next stop....Pound Town on the D train.

Honestly though, just a splash of apple, pineapple, peach, or pear juice and she'll be stoked.

Back