SWMBO approved keezer build!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
So here's the dilemma, I know nothing about chest freezers. I have looked at the chest freezer specs thread THOROUGHLY! I have narrowed it down to a few different freezers. HD has a 7.0 cu ft GE for $189 with free shipping which will hold 5 ball locks with a 5# co2 with a collar. They also have a 6.8 cu ft magic chef for $158 also with free shipping, but it's not listed on the specs thread. However they do have a 7.0 magic chef listed that will fit 5 ball locks with a 5# co2 with a collar. Which I assume would be similar. Third, they have a 7.0 cu ft continental which I haven't found any info about that is also $158 with free shipping. Sears has a 7.2 cu ft kenmore that will hold 6 ball locks with a 5# co2 with a collar for $189 and free shipping TO STORE. I don't have a truck, but I can easily get help with that.
Edit: just found a coupon code for Kmart that takes this same Kenmore down to $154 shipped to the store.

What do ya'll think is best? Like I said, I know nothing about chest freezers, but I'm VERY excited that the wife approved it. I was originally lookin at used ones on craigslist. Then she tells me that she doesn't like the idea of a used one and not knowing if it will die or not...so she says I can buy a new one!!! Score! She told me whatever I want to do!! Now the question is...what do I get her for Christmas?!?!? It HAS to be something good since she's letting me make a keezer.

Get her multiple perlick faucets, co2 manifold, beer line, multiple kegs, controller and a co2 canister.

Dont forget that you will need a temperature controller!

I have an aquarium temp controller that I built for my ferm chamber that I shouldn't need for a while seein how I'm gettin good ale temps in my outside storage closet now. This will hold me off until I can make another one. This keezer build is probably gonna piss off the SWMBO when she finds out what it will cost in the end...she approved it though!!

Get her multiple perlick faucets, co2 manifold, beer line, multiple kegs, controller and a co2 canister.

That would be great for me...although this is KINDA for her because I think I'll finally be able to make a sweet sparkling cider for her. She is NOT a beer drinker. Lol. Mostly Dessert wines and angry orchard style ciders.

Go as big as you can fit/afford :D

That's what I though too. So if I can get 6 ball locks in the kenmore than I should do that over five...that's a whole corny!! Lol. I was thinking of goin with the 7.2 cu ft kenmore too. Although Kmart is an hour away...so I'd spend $40 or more in gas just getting to it when sears has it for $180 that's not even a mile down the road. OR HD will deliver the 7.0 cu ft GE for free and it's $189...but it will hold a max of 5 ball locks with a collar.

Edit: HD also has the 7.0 cu ft magic chef that will hold 5 ball locks with a collar with free shipping to my door for $158. I haven't heard good things about these units though. There aren't many reviews and they're mostly bad ones.

Put cider in one of them. Remember that the freezer is only a small percentage of total keezer cost.

Make it look like a piece of furniture. My SWMBO really likes the way this one turned out and sometimes buys me decorative stuff to compliment it.

Keezer_zpsf173e5b2.jpg

Put cider in one of them. Remember that the freezer is only a small percentage of total keezer cost.

Right, which I'm hoping to score on a good black Friday deal for kegs
and ill probably start with picnic taps for now. I've been told that kegconnection does a pretty good sale for black Friday. I'll be checkin that out. I know adventures of homebrewing usually has great prices too and will also be doing a black Friday sale. Just to try and keep the cost down. Then ill slowly upgrade to perlicks over time so the wife won't notice as much.

Make it look like a piece of furniture. My SWMBO really likes the way this one turned out and sometimes buys me decorative stuff to compliment it.

Keezer_zpsf173e5b2.jpg

Nice! That looks great! I used to build cabinets, do granite countertops, and tile for a living. I haven't done it in years, but maybe I can whip something up so she'll let me bring it into the house.

Give craigslist a look too - I picked up a 1 year old 7 cu. ft Holiday w/temp controller for $65. Cut a lot of the cost out of the build.

Give craigslist a look too - I picked up a 1 year old 7 cu. ft Holiday w/temp controller for $65. Cut a lot of the cost out of the build.

I have been looking on it very closely. Most are going for between $100-$150 in my area. I found a 7.2 cu ft Kenmore at Kmart for $155. I figured why not go brand new at that point. If I found a steal like that I'd go for it for sure! I've been lookin for about a month now and I haven't found anything.

I have been looking on it very closely. Most are going for between $100-$150 in my area. I found a 7.2 cu ft Kenmore at Kmart for $155. I figured why not go brand new at that point. If I found a steal like that I'd go for it for sure! I've been lookin for about a month now and I haven't found anything.

The seller mentioned that he had gotten three responses within 15 minutes of posting, so I got very lucky. Sometimes the deals are there, sometimes they aren't.

Nice! That looks great! I used to build cabinets, do granite countertops, and tile for a living. I haven't done it in years, but maybe I can whip something up so she'll let me bring it into the house.

Thanks. The wood is 3/4" oak salvaged from an old church pew that has taken up space in our house for the last 20+ years. The pic doesn't show it, but the faucets come out of the part used to hold the little communion cups and the drain pan sits in the hymnal holder. One of my brew buddies dubbed it the "holy keezer" :D

The seller mentioned that he had gotten three responses within 15 minutes of posting, so I got very lucky. Sometimes the deals are there, sometimes they aren't.

Lucky! I wish I could find a deal like that. I'm still lookin though. Even though I'm pickin up a new one and hopefully tomorrow too.

Thanks. The wood is 3/4" oak salvaged from an old church pew that has taken up space in our house for the last 20+ years. The pic doesn't show it, but the faucets come out of the part used to hold the little communion cups and the drain pan sits in the hymnal holder. One of my brew buddies dubbed it the "holy keezer" :D

Bravo sir! I love it even more now. The holy one! Very nice.

Back