Sweeteningin the keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
I have a chocolate robust porter that tastes a little too much like bitter chocolate. Seems the little yeasties consumed the sugars and left the bitter stuff. It's subtle but not too favorable by me. My question is this-- How can I sweeten it up more without drying it out more. Is there a way of adding sugar without further fermentation. How about Splenda or Nutra-sweet type of sweetener. Granted, it's not exactly what I want to be adding to my brew but I'm not happy with the chocolate bitterness. The chocolate bitterness is definately differant than a hop bitterness. Anyone had this issue also? I used 10 oz. of liquid Hersey's chocolate syrup in 5 gal batch.

You could probably add a small amount of lactose if you're wanting to sweeten it. It's a non-fermentable sugar. I'm not sure what the proper amount would be though.

I think ETOJ has it right. I'd try adding at about 2 oz. If it's not sweet enough, add a little at a time 'till it tastes right to you.

One thing I've done with cider in the keg is to add 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon of liquid and let sit for a day or two. This prevents renewed fermentation. Then you can add any type of fermentable sweetener such as honey, sugar, molasses, etc. and force carbonate. My brother in law is lactose intolerant and loves my cider and beer. I do it the sorbate way so I don't have to deal with his a$$ trombone during a session. :tank:

Before you go adding sweeteners to your beer, perhaps we should ask how long it has conditioned? My experience has been that all my porters tasted like this when they were green. But after a couple of months of bottle conditioning, they were really improved. And I suspect they would have continued to improve, if I had let them condition longer (but I have no will power when it comes to porter - they never last long in my house!).

I actually have a control group. This was a split 10 gallon batch. My other 5 gallons was straight up Robust porter which is kegged and bottled and very smooth drinking. The chocolate porter I added the Herseys seperately after the split. It was in the secondary for 2 extra weeks (took longer to clear). The taste is unmistakeably bitter chocolate, not black patent or astringecy.
I did add 4 0z of lactose to approximately 3 1/2 to 4 gallons last night after boiling it it 1 cup of water. I'll test it tonight.

Back