Sweet Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmunley

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the world of home brewing. I've recently bought my equipment kit, Sweet Stout ingredient kit and bottling equipment...so I'm ready to go. I am planning on using this instructional tutorial from Northern Brewer. Here is my question.

Since I don't have a wort chiller, I was planning on doing a partial boil. Northern Brewer doesn't include quantities for the fermentables in their instructional. Should I use the entire 6 lb. jug of malt extract syrup and the entire 1 lb. of dextrose, or do I have to use less for the partial boil. This is the only thing holding up my first brew, and any answers are appreciated!

Use everything that came with the kit. Do your partial boil and then top off with the remaining water to make 5 gallons. Are you sure that they gave you 1lb of dextrose and not 1lb of lactose? I got the same kit from them if its dextrose someone made a mistake.

My mistake, I meant lactose. So I should be using the entire portion of the syrup extract and lactose?

If you want, you could add 1/3rd of the extract at the beginning and the last 2/3rds with only 10 minutes left. This is a fairly common practice called a late addition. It will give you better hop utilization and reduce darkening of your beer due to maillard reactions and carmelization.

....Then again, with a sweet stout, the hop presence is minimal and just enough for a little balance, and the darkening does not really matter much, does it? I made that kit as my 3rd brew, and it's good but if you like your stouts chewy and viscous then you might consider adding a bit of dextrine or something,and carbonating it slightly less than your average beer.....For my tastes, I found the mouthfeel a little on the thin side, but otherwise an excellent beer. have fun

Back