Sweet honey wheat - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxtoe

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a refreshing crisp summer beer with some slight sweetness to it but nothing that would be overpowering, how does this look:

4 lbs - Wheat Malt Syrup
2.5 lbs - Wildflower honey (added after flameout around 120*)

Steeping:
1 lbs - Gambrinus Honey Malt
.5 lbs - Carafoam
.5 lbs - Simpsons Golden Naked Oat

Hops:
1 oz - German tradition (60)
1 oz - Glacier - (10)
1 oz - Whitbread Golding (10)

1 tsp - Irish moss (10)

yeast:
Safale S-04

Abv - 5.6%
IBU - 29.5
SRM - 8*

the glacier would be interesting, in a good way though.

I Just made one myself. it was all grain, but 4lbs wheat, 4lbs 2row. added 1lb of honey at FO, and it fermented down to 1.002. so i'd keep an eye on that guy, honey almost always ferments out and leaves little flavor unless you do a few tricks.
i do keg, so i have no worry of bottle bombs, and i threw 2lbs of honey with about a quart of water, boiled that then threw it into the keg with the beer, since it's low temps it shouldnt' ferment out anymore, but gave me that honey aroma i was looking for as well.

also, does the naked oats convert anything without mashing?

I don't think the naked oats will convert to much beyond a few percentage points but more of a color and flavor I want to extract from them such as the carafoam and honey malt.

The honey should leave me with just a tiny bit of floral essence and mainly be for upping the fermentables. I'll have extra wheat extract on hand if the OG isn't where I'm expecting before adding the honey since I'm not sure exactly how much will come out of the steeping.

But I am having a hard time calculating things in anything but beercalculus. Beersmith is so overly complicated and missing so many ingredients that it hard for me to be sure what is really adding when using that program.

What did you use for hops?

Here's a thought: reserve maybe half that honey to be added AFTER your primary fermentation. Just open up the carboy and pour it in. No need to boil or anything. Doing that will re-start fermentation, but will preserve some of that honey character.

You've got 2lbs of Crystal malt in there (GNO is a crystal oat malt) which is normally BAD, but since you've got a big chuck of your base coming from pure honey, I suspect you will end up with a beer in the normal range of finishing gravity, so that's good.

Oh wait those are all crystal malts, i follow now. Would they provide more fermentables if they were use in conjunction with all grain or partial mash?

Oh wait those are all crystal malts, i follow now. Would they provide more fermentables if they were use in conjunction with all grain or partial mash?

All Grain would probably make them more fermentable, but partial mashing will help too, but only if you have some base malt for enzymes. Either is better than just steeping.

Back