Another APA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly_Guy

Reaction score
One of my local breweries was nice enough to tell me what they use in one of my all time favorite APAs.
They use 2-row, wheat, caramalt and carafoam and finish it all off with cascade, centennial and citra hops.

I want to try to re-create this but my local shop doesn't carry caramalt or carafoam so this is what I've put together. I have a tendency to over-do stuff and the last few batches of beer I tried to over-complicate came out...well...just a little weird. Any input is greatly appreciated
All Grain 5 gallon batch

9 lbs 2-row (78.3%)
0.75 lbs wheat (6.5%)
0.75 lbs caramel 10 (6.5%)
4 oz flaked barley (2.2%)
6 oz Victory Malt (3.3%)
6 oz german carapils (3.3%)

Brewers Friend has this as an OG of 1.056 (70% kettle efficiency), SRM of 5.65

Fermenting with Oyl-091
2 oz each of citra, centennial and cascade, 1 oz of each for a 5 day dry-hop and the other oz spread throughout the boil.

Thanks,
David

What are you substituting for the Caramalt? If it's the Victory, then that seems a tad off in it's flavor profile. But maybe not a big deal with all the Caramel malt that's going in.

I'm thinking the Carapils is what you are sub'ing for Carafoam. But I'm not certain if the german Carapils is the same profile as Briess Carapils which is typically the substitute.

You are correct, the carapils was swapped out for the carafoam.

I'm using the combination of victory, caramel 10 and flaked barley, to help make up for the caramalt.

Back